What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finally after a year in the HT we're getting a new dedicated air and heat system installed. The crew should be through by noon tomorrow.

New power leather seats and now air and heat. Life is good!!

BTW, we watched Friday the 13 #6 tonight. "Jason Lives". The more they make, the worse they get. I like the 2009 reboot but nothing past #4.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight in the HT, one of my favorite Blu Rays that really shows off the subs in the room......"Cloverfield". Wow....this one really knocks the dust off the seats!! No one is safe in the room.

Attachments

• MV5BMTQ1NzU4NjI5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkyMjc1MQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMTQ1NzU4NjI5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkyMjc1MQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 46

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
My masking actuators arrived yesterday and I've installed them, applied power and checked for accuracy of aspect ratio.

Soon I'll have the circuit wired to my PennyWise automation system so the masking will change positions every time the lens on the projector rotates between "flat" and "scope".

The first video shows the masking changing from flat to scope and the second video shows the left actuator actually pulling the masking out to a 2:35 position.

Attachments

• IMG_2563.MOV
    737.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2560.MOV
    868.5 KB · Views: 149

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finally have finished my masking control system. Installed and working beautifully. The masking changes automatically between 2:35 and 1:85 as the projector lens changes from commands given from the automation. After programming, the automation is controlled by foil sensing tape placed on one edge of the 35mm film or I can control the functions with a key fob from anywhere in the HT. Works like a charm.

Full disclosure.....the Radio Shack power supply is something I had already. I added that.

Attachments

• IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 39

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Peter Apruzzese said:
Nice engineering.

I miss my projection booth :(
This relay was engineered by Film-Tech Systems out of Carrollton, TX. Brad Miller and his techs are geniuses with anything film/digital related.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I found this little 1955 theatre "snipe" that advertised the new wide, curved screen presentations which is pretty cool. I put together a quick demo reel of going from an old black and white trailer on "Night of the Blood Beast" to the snipe and finally to the wide screen Dolby Digital slugs.

Sorry about the poor Iphone quality and I left the booth door open so there's also projector noise in the background.

Also, the JBL Speaker snipe was given to me by Forum member Dave Moritz. Thanks Dave!

Attachments

• IMG_2730.MOV
    11.9 MB · Views: 157

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Here's a short clip of the automation changing the projector lens and the masking.

Sorry for the noise. The muffler covers have not been installed on the masking motors yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2747.MOV
    2.5 MB · Views: 128

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Viewing tonight will be an extra special event.

We're watching Thir13een Ghosts (Dark Castle, 2001)

After 14 years of searching, I finally found a 35mm print of this title.

It took longer to find the "new" version than it did my 1960 original copy of the William Castle addition.

I'm very happy to have one copy of each!

Although the Blu Ray has a decent track, it won't match up to the Dolby SRD track on the film.

Gotta go clean the popcorn machine. We don't watch anything without popcorn. You know it's a food group. ;)

Attachments

• 13 ghosts.jpg
    13 ghosts.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 27

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Ok.....I'll just put it like this.

The SRD track on Thir13een Ghosts 35mm print makes the track on the Blu Ray sound pale.

Two other print titles that kick the Blu Ray's track butt is "Twister" and "Day After Tomorrow".

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DFurr said:
Ok.....I'll just put it like this.

The SRD track on Thir13een Ghosts 35mm print makes the track on the Blu Ray sound pale.

Two other print titles that kick the Blu Ray's track butt is "Twister" and "Day After Tomorrow".

I'll bet there are many more, considering home video is now being mixed for soundbars and portable devices. "The mixes are a good compromise for the various playback devices now encountered"- yeah right! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks