What's new

New House, New Home Theatre/Game area... (1 Viewer)

Hi.

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. The first house with theatre was sold years ago, and we're currently building out the basement in the new house.

Things are going well so far...we're now looking at colors.

Meanwhile, check out the blog of build photos...

http://pfeifhouse.blogspot.com

Kris

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Looks like everything is coming along nicely. You lucky guys with your basements. Once I sell my pad I'll have to put that at the top of my list to look for. Curious to see what hardware you'll be putting in for the theatre (or you just using what you had previously), colors, seating.

good luck.

If you don't mind me asking approx. what will this new project end up costing you from permits to well everything.

Lance

For starters, I'll be moving a lot of my existing stuff down there. It'll be built around a Denon 2309CI receiver. I'm looking at some of the newer Denons, but that's not in the budget yet. For now, speakers will be Paradigm Studio something-or-other (can't remember what) in the front, a PS-1200 sub, and Atoms for the surrounds. We're writing 7.1, but I'll be 5.1 to start. A new Bluray player is in the budget...probably an Oppo. I'll need over-the-air TV (dumped cable and sat - I don't miss them), so I'll need a tuner of some sort...maybe a TiVo Premier (we're Tivo people, even though a HTPC could probaby work). I may be setting up a HTPC eventually around XBMC...that'll be something I'll do later. Music will be served up by a Logitech Squeezebox...not sure which model yet, but I'm happy with the others I have in the house.

Projector? Either an Epson 8100 or the 8500UB. While the 8500UB has some great specs, the 8100 is still a great projector...and can be had for around $1250. That's a steal, considering my last place I spent $1,000 on a used Sony 1031Q CRT projector. Great picture...if it was DARK.

I haven't added things up yet...let's give it a shot...

Permits: $650 (scam)

Concrete sawing for new drain: $100

Lumber: $1,200

Plumbing material: $700

Plumbing labor: $900

Electrical materials:$1,200

Electrical labor: Free!

Cabinets: $2200

Doors: $700

Drywall materials: $1700

Drywall labor: $1800

HVAC labor/material: $2200

So...around $14,000 so far. Carpet is coming, as are some plumbing fixtures (toilet, kitchen and bar sink, faucets), knockdown and primer ($700), paint (not sure yet), and wood trim. I don't know, let's hope for $20,000 when we're all done. That won't include the electronics, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks