What's new

New Home Theater Project. Need Some Guidance! (1 Viewer)

Dremmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dremmer
Hey folks, So I'm finishing my basement, and have about a 12'x17'x9' space I've been considering turning into a movie room. Plan is something like a 6' couch, and two recliners behind it on a raised platform. What I'm interested in is thoughts on speaker selection (size, power, etc..) and placement, so as each seating location has an equally good sound quality. I still have to frame the walls, so I'm a little flexible on dimensions so as to improve acoustics. That is the largest I can go though. If anyone can chime in and point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Dremmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dremmer
As far as a budget, let's say around $2000 for sound system, though my goal is to get the price as low as I can, without sacrificing too much in sound quality. I'm planning on in-wall speakers, which is why I'm holding off on framing until I'm sure of the dimensions I need. I'm not sure what Infinite Baffle subs are yet, so I can't say either way on that one yet. Though I'll be doing some research on those right now!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$2000 is doable. Price breakdown... $500-ish on the AVR(which one depends on what you need/want it to have/do) $700 if you go IB(driver/s should be $100/piece. Amp roughly $200-$400. Cabinet makes up the rest) $500 if you buy a normal sub. Remainder on your 5.0/7.0...or if you intend to do height/width.

Dremmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dremmer
Thanks, How about speaker placement? How do I go about figuring where the optimal speaker locations are, so as to provide the best compromise of good sound quality to each of the seats. Here's a quick sketch of the room. I'd like to make up for the lack of space, by making it as comfortable as possible, and getting the best sound quality I can.
1ab3fdb3_675879.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dolby has guidelines for 5.1, 7.1 and height. Audyssey has guidelines for height and width. THX has guidelines. DTS has guidelines. Pick the one you want to follow the closest/fits where you have to put the speakers.

Dremmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dremmer
I've decided to go with a DTS 7.1 setup. Here's a rough sketch of the speaker layout. Now how about the room dimensions? Will shortening either wall a foot or two have that big an impact on the acoustics?
b590120c_58758.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks