What's new

New Home Media Room (1 Viewer)

Kyiac

Auditioning
Real Name
Bubba
Looking for a little direction in home audio/home theater. I am building a new home that will have a 20x16 media room. The screen will be around 9'tall x 12' wide. I'm sold on Onkyo equipment from a purchase about 10 years ago but sorry to say put a bose speaker system with it... my mistake. I was lucky enough to sell it a garage sale for about 3/4ths what I paid for it. Anyways I'm looking for some good THX speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look at? I would like to keep the total of all speakers under 2,000 if possible.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Speakers are a pretty personal thing. It all depends on how you perceive the sound. For example, I like my polk speakers, but not when they are connected to an Onkyo receiver. Its all personal preference.

Go out and demo some speakers. Bring your favorite CD / DVD's and check out a few models. Good audio shops should have screening rooms just for this purpose.

As for THX certification, as far as I'm concerned, its not worth all that much. It basically says that a speaker or receiver meets some minimum requirements, not that that speaker is "better" than some others.

Happy Hunting!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
As Mike mentioned, THX certification means very little. Any speakers worth buying will likely meet the certification requirements (or at least be very close). Here are a few things to consider:

1 - Ascend Acoustics -- 340's across the front, 2x170s in the back = ~$1200 then add the SVS 20-39 PC-Plus on close-out for $799.

2 - SVS SCS-01 5.0 surround system = $875 then add the same sub as above for $799

3 - Axiom Audio - VP150 Center = $400, M22x4 = $940, then add same sub as above for $799

Those are all online direct companies that are known for producing very good speakers, but it's really just a starting point for things to consider. The SVS subs are top-notch, although there are other great online sub manufacturers that could be considered as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks