What's new

3D New here, just bought Pansonic 65VT30 and looking for 3D Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Darth G-F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Plante
Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a Panasonic 65VT30 and I now want to upgrade my blu-ray player to a 3D blu-ray. I'm currently looking at either the Pansonic 210 ot the Oppo bdp-93. These are two very good choices from what I read on numerous sites. I like the fact that the Panasonic is both well rated and will use the same remote as the TV. It is also a great deal cheaper, I found one for 125$. The Oppo apparently is even better, but comes at 565$ shipped. I'm really interested by the picture quality and don't really care about streaming movies and what not. I just want something that will look very good on my new VT30. Thus wondering if the Oppo image will be better than the Panasonic... Is the difference be obvious to a pro only? In your opinion, is the Oppo that much better? Is it worth it to pay 4 times the price of the Panasonic? Thanks for your help! :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Darth G-F said:
Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a Panasonic 65VT30 and I now want to upgrade my blu-ray player to a 3D blu-ray. I'm currently looking at either the Pansonic 210 ot the Oppo bdp-93. These are two very good choices from what I read on numerous sites. I like the fact that the Panasonic is both well rated and will use the same remote as the TV. It is also a great deal cheaper, I found one for 125$. The Oppo apparently is even better, but comes at 565$ shipped. I'm really interested by the picture quality and don't really care about streaming movies and what not. I just want something that will look very good on my new VT30. Thus wondering if the Oppo image will be better than the Panasonic... Is the difference be obvious to a pro only? In your opinion, is the Oppo that much better? Is it worth it to pay 4 times the price of the Panasonic? Thanks for your help! :)
I own both players and yes the oppo is better then the panasonic. feel free to ask me any questions. Jacob

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have both an Oppo BDP-93 and a slightly older Panasonic DMP-BD60. Personally, I'd recommend just sticking with the Panasonic. There's no perceivable difference in blu-ray image quality between the players. The Oppo has better build quality, better features (variable zoom modes, adjustable subtitles etc.) and very slightly superior upconversion of standard DVDs. It will also play just about any format that you throw at it. But if your just looking for something to play blu-rays and the odd DVD, it's not worth the premium over the Panasonic.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know if this is an issue for you, but I've seen at least one model of a panny 3d blu-ray player that comes with a mail-in coupon for the 3D Avatar. I have never owned an Oppo, but I think their niche is for the consumer who doesn't have to think twice about spending $200 or $500. Me, I gotta think twice and that leaves the Oppo out. Also think about this: you're not buying something you'll have in 10 years (most likely). Do you want to spend that much for something that will likely be replaced? I can replace what I buy now with a more current model in 2-3 years and still have spent less than the Oppo.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have the Panasonic 110 and it has been a very good player. I have owned older OPPO's and will upgrade at some point in the future. However, I think the Panasonic will give you great performance. You will love the TV as well.

Darth G-F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Plante
Thanks. Very helpful comments so far. From what I read the Oppo is really the better player. But I read reviews of it and can't understand half they say. The technical stuff is like chinese to me. I have limited electronics knowledge and don't spend much time tuning the tv or player. I usually try to find online settings I like and then don't play with it anymore. I bought the VT30 because it was realy cheap (2640$ new was my price). I know this is a great set, and when I watched it in store, image quality was great. But I'm probably not the typical VT30 buyer. These forums are great, I like how people seems to be very knowledgeable about very technical stuff. But I'm certainly on the very beginner scale compared to you guys. With that said. It seems like the 210 has good enough image and from the reviews and comments from you guys, I should be really happy with it and not spend my time regretting the Oppo. But as I read on another site, if the Oppo urge hits, I can always resell the Avatar 3d blu-ray that comes with the Panasonic and the player will have a net cost of close to nothing. I'll think about it for a couple more hours, but will probably order the 210 tonight.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

Welcome to our forum. Do hope you stick around and share

your future Blu-ray experiences with all of us.

I personally own Oppo 3D Blu-ray player after owning several

Panasonic Blu-ray players before it.

It's funny. Every year I would buy a new Panasonic BD player

that was faster than the older one. I finally just bought the

Oppo and I was amazed at how quick the load time is compared

to what I had.

That being said, it's been about a year since I bought the Oppo

and I am certain that Panasonic players load times have sharply

increased.

I love my Oppo. It's very well-built and so far no problems.

However, you can't go wrong with a Panasonic player. Hopefully

it comes with a coupon for Avatar.

Let us know how you make out.

Darth G-F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Plante
Thanks everyone. I finally went with the 210. I couldn't justify paying 400$ more. Hopefully the image quality will be to my liking. If not, the free Avatar 3d movie makes this a nice deal nonetheless. Now if anyone could help me chose 3d glasses. I looked on amazon and there are many different models, even from Panasonic. So I'm kind of wondering if there is a quality difference or if it's just a matter of weight and comfort. :confused: Based on the ratings, I was thinking of trying the Ew3d3 or the true depth... I'm still trying to make up my mind on these.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Darth G-F said:
Thanks everyone. I finally went with the 210. I couldn't justify paying 400$ more. Hopefully the image quality will be to my liking. If not, the free Avatar 3d movie makes this a nice deal nonetheless. Now if anyone could help me chose 3d glasses. I looked on amazon and there are many different models, even from Panasonic. So I'm kind of wondering if there is a quality difference or if it's just a matter of weight and comfort. :confused: Based on the ratings, I was thinking of trying the Ew3d3 or the true depth... I'm still trying to make up my mind on these.
I would go with the 3rd generation 3d glasses. I own two of them. they work much better then the first 2 generations. Jacob

Darth G-F

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Plante
TheBat said:
I would go with the 3rd generation 3d glasses. I own two of them. they work much better then the first 2 generations. Jacob
What model number is the 3rd generation? EW3D3 right? :confused:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

Congrats on your purchase.

BTW, happy to hear you went with an active shutter display.

I cannot stress enough how much better they are over the

passive displays which don't give you full HD.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own the Panny 210, and it is a terrific player. Load times are very fast, and image quality is excellent (as it was with my older Sony model).For Blu-ray playback quality, I doubt you will notice much, if any, difference between it and the Oppo. Where the Oppo really shines is in the additional features and customer support. As has been said above, the Oppo will play just about any disc format out there -- BD, DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, etc. I own an older Oppo universal DVD player, and it has also been a great player that I still use a lot. However, I just cannot justify spending $500+ on a BD player.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just be sure whichever 3D glasses you buy are compatable with your TV. Not all brands are interchangeable.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have several pairs of the EW3D2 glasses (second gen). They seem a bit more substantial than the EW3D3, but the 3 series are meant to be lighter. They are also cheaper, have slightly bigger lenses, but are a bit thinner in the corner. I haven't had any problems with the second gen glasses, but at the end of the day the third gen are quite a bit cheaper and easier to find. I have a Panasonic 310 (I needed the dual HDMI ports) and an Oppo. You can't beat the Panasonic for the money, its a great player. They Oppo has better build quality and a lot of convenience features like RS232, IR inputs, etc. If those aren't important to you then go with the Panasonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks