What's new

New Foo Fighters album to be DualDisc (1 Viewer)

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at it on Amazon this morning. It lists the CD only release as a "Copy Protected CD". What's up with that??

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Is there any language on this disc that would make it have to be editied. I don't want a censored cd, but I might get this at Wal-mart (shudder) if it was cheaper. Any word?

Never mind. Just saw it has a parental advisory sticker on it. That answers my question.

AricB

Second Unit
saw dualdisc at Best Buy, definitely lists only disc 2 as in surround 5.1. 2 disc dual is like $23, reg cd is on sale for 9.99.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
14.99 dualdisc... that's more like it. I couldn't see myself spending $23 just to have the Dualdisc, but I'll be making a trip now.

KrisM

Second Unit
I picked up the CD version for $15CDN at Futureshop. They didn't have the Dualdisc. It will probably be in the $25 range here anyway. I haven't listened to disc 2 yet, buy the first one rocks. Too bad about the copy protection, just makes it harder for me to make a Foo compilation. Not that it will stop me.:)

Regards
KrisM

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I just got this album, but haven't listened to it. I'm willing to bet that we Ipod owners that wanna import the songs can just hold on the shift or control key to disable the copy protection, but I'm not sure....the same way it was with the Velvet Revolver cd. Moderators, if that is something that isn't allowed, I apologize and you can delete my post.

One thing though, for some reason it doesn't seem to be pulling up 5.1 on the dvd side... I've went into the options, and I tried both a digital coax cable and an optical cable...but no 5.1. Anyone else with this problem?

Ok, it helps to read instructions.... on the back of the cd, it says "disc 2 in surround sound." It is weird though that on the dvd side of disc 1, it lists both surround sound and 5.1 as audio options, but 5.1 doesn't pull up. I guess it's just a mistake. Sorry about asking and answering my own questions in my post.

I went into HMV today to check it out, thought about picking up the Dual Disc version, until I saw the price: $15 Cdn for the regular CD, $45 Cdn for the Dual Disc!!! I know HMV is usually over priced, but 3x the regular CD price!? Stayed with the regular CD. I prefer music in 2 channel anyway, and if I really want 5.1 that bad, I'll use Dolby Pro 2.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^I preordered the SE (DualDisc) whatever from Amazon.ca for 30.99 about a month and a half ago. It always helps to order the item just as it goes up in the listings.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
The copy protection is nasty. It automatically installs software on your computer without your permission. If the cd runs and the EULA pops up, the software has been installed. Dirty trick.

To get rid of the software you have to stop the service and delete the file. Then you have to make sure auto-run is disabled on your drive.

Also, the disks don't work in two of my players, which have never had problems playing copy protected disks. I'll be taking this one back.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Man, I'm really torn on this disc. I want to buy the set at our local Futureshop for $14.99. But I don't want that software installed on my computer.
I could go through itunes but it is $19.99 for the album.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Dammit, is the disk copy protected? Crap. I was gonna pick it up, but I refuse to buy crippled merchandise. That's one thing I will not compromise on; there's no group out there whose music I want so bad to buy a substandard product. I will not purchase something that has had steps taken to intentionally limit my fair usage. The hell with that. There's enough other music, movies, and books that I want to listen to/watch/read that anything that will cut down on it is a bonus.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris- I hear ya, but ... article in the local paper here a few days ago that said more and more labels are going to be doing this. I don't like it either, but the solution isn't to give up the music you like. It's to find a way around their "protection". ;)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I could be wrong, but I don't think the copy protection software can install itself on your computer if you turn autorun off on your cdrom/dvdrom drives. The copy protection program has to have something/someone launch it. If you don't launch it and your computer doesn't launch it automatically, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like the same deal that is on the Velvet Revolver disc.

Also, if you have a home audio CD recorder, I suspect that a dub made on such a deck would NOT include this stuff, and could then be ripped normally.

Inconvenient to be sure, but so long as I can make a rip for my iPod, I would be willing to do it.

Brian

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I was able to make a back up copy for my car last night. I found an article out on the net that has an analysis of MediaMax CD3 Copy-Prevention system and how it works. It's a good read, if you know what i mean....;)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I ordered the SE (well that's not true I got both) anyways I only opened the SE so I can get it signed by the band today. The 2 disc can stay wrapped for all I care.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone post step-by-step instructions on how to simply play and copy the tracks in Windows Media Player 9? It won't stop skipping. I did download the thing and it plays fine in that program, but I want to be able to simply play it in WMP.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm not a fan of this copy protection at all. :thumbsdown: Everyone who wants to just play the CD on their computer or copy the tracks for their own use can't get it, but the people who want to copy the tracks and sell or give them away find a way around it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found out how to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks