What's new

New Egg Sale - YAMAHA RX-V665 7.2 - $499 Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Bobcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Hello everyone -

New to suround sound business, and been visiting here recently.

Just curious if this is a good deal?

YAMAHA RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver for $499

Newegg.com - YAMAHA RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

I like the 4 HDMI inputs. But not sure if I need 7.2.
Read if you do not have a certain size living room, no need getting it.

Here is my living room layout:

http://www.whmcustomservices.com/ima...20Room%202.jpg
http://www.whmcustomservices.com/ima...ing%20Room.jpg

Thanks all,
Bobby

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd say yes. It's the same price at Amazon.com too. This receiver can decode the new HD audio formats, has 7.1 analog inputs, has pre-outs, etc..... It has good bells and whistles for the price.

Just because it has 7.2 capability, doesn't mean you have to use it. If all you want is 5.1, it will be great for that also. But the capability is there, if you ever decide to use it, and you probably will, sometime in the future.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bobcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Also, what speakers would go good with this?

As in my layout and great clarity. Nothing over $1-2k or so.

Thank ya!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The SBS-01 is the standard $1000 response and their subwoofers should be on your short list regardless of what speakers you buy, but there are many others to look at. You can get the Infinity Beta 20's and C250 or C360 for very good prices, especially on Harman Kardon's e-Bay store. For a little more there's Axiom, Swan, AV123 (though they are having various problems right now). Polk's e-Bay store also has some great deals at times. Saturday Audio has some decent prices on PSB Image series (in Maple).

But these are just what I consider to be a good value. Whether you like the way they sound is up to you.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo has been shocking the industry with their TX-SR receivers by packing tons of features into a sub $500 receiver. The 665 is Yamahas response and yamaha is a great brand.

The SVS speaker set is a great choice (the set was on someones 'best of the year' list last Jan). But dont be afraid to go out and audition at your local stores. (This is part of the fun of home theater). Use a music CD to audition as this is a harder task for speakers and will show you things a DVD wont.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Bobcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Thanks guys for all the information. Still waiting on some quotes, but will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks