What's new

New details on Paramount’s forthcoming ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST DVD. (1 Viewer)

I had the chance to watch the R2 version of the film yesterday and it was an amazing experience, since it was also my first widescreen viewing of it. The transfer appears to be stunning, with spot-on contrast, minimal to non-existent print damage and no visible edge enhancement, at least on my system. The only somehow striking "flaw" I could notice was some kind of ghosting effect at the scene where Cheyenne and Harmonica start building the station, and there's a wide shot where Bronson moves from the left of the frame to the right. There's also some minimal, but apparently welcome, film grain to be seen and the detail visible particularly during the close-ups is remarkable.

I also liked the 5.1 mix, which both reinforces the acoustic experience on several scenes and manages to keep the enhancements subtle: the early massacre of the family comes to mind
. Morricone's monumental score shines throughout.

In short, this looks like a real winner from Paramount.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that disappoints me is we don't get the Italian audio, which is debatably the OSL.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The only thing that disappoints me is we don't get the Italian audio, which is debatably the OSL.
There is no original language for the film, as it was shot without sound and each actor spoke his or her native language on the set. Surely, though, with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, and Jason Robards in the leading roles (and likely together providing the vast majority of the film's dialogue), the English track is the way to go. Losing Bronson's voice would be tragic. I sure wouldn't want to sit through three hours of hearing bad Italian dubbed voices for Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee Van Cleef in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

DJ

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
my dvd was shipped 2 days ago and i'm really iggy on seing the film finally in it's original aspect ratio and without comercial breaks :D

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the region 2 French release for two months, and I got the US release two days ago. Transfer, of course, is the same as are the extras. You do get the original mono track with the US version, but the packaging is plain and simple, and not nearly as pleasing as the gorgeous packaging of the region two disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks