What's new

New Dawn of the Dead DVD details (1 Viewer)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
During HTF member Michael Allred's contacts with Mr. O'Bannon, I believe it became clear that MGM had access to the requisite materials for the restoration of the original cut.
That's too bad. Thanks for the info though, didn't know about the color timing issue. Seems like a lot of studios don't care enough when it comes to that.

Btw, anybody have any idea if the Home Theater Forum has contacts with Anchor Bay. With AB's website always in disrepair and most of our info regarding the discs coming from press releases pretty late in the game, wouldn't there be someone working for them that would want to hype upcoming releases in scheduled chats or board Q&A's? It's kind of sad that their magazine ads get out quicker than solicit information online.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
may be the first review for the new divimax disc up here

looks to be a winner.
can't wait- for me, this is right up there with SW and Return of the King

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be wanting the single disc, I don't think I would be interested in the whole pack unless it's a limited editon.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
can't wait- for me, this is right up there with SW and Return of the King
For me, its above both, especially SW. Anyways, I can't wait, so I'll be picking up both versions. It'll be nice to finally own the entire trilogy on great quality DVDs!

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I'll be wanting the single disc, I don't think I would be interested in the whole pack unless it's a limited editon.
Personally, I can't live without the Cannes cut. Too much detail, subplot and characterization is missing that I care about. I could live without the Argento cut, but I imagine the lack of it will hurt the sales of their box set. So, from the review, I gather that Anchor Bay has set their sights on just 3 discs for the special release? Already sounds like it's going to be pretty disappointing...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review link, Paul. I'll be buying this, listing it on eBay in October, and buying the 3-discer.

Few flicks would earn this kind of attention from me...but few flicks are Dawn of the Dead. :)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting for this for so long. It'll look nice next to my Divimax Day Of The Day and Elite NOTLD.

Question...

Should I upgrade my NOTLD (original Elite disc) to the newer ME?

Joshua_W

Second Unit
So, from the review, I gather that Anchor Bay has set their sights on just 3 discs for the special release? Already sounds like it's going to be pretty disappointing...
If Anchor Bay is only going to be able to deliver a 3-disc "super duper biggest we've ever done" set for "Dawn of the Dead," i'd rather they scrap the idea altogether and just release a double disc set of the theatrical cut (the theatrical cut + extras) and then a single-disc of the director's/Cannes cut.

All indications seem to point to this long-delayed, long-anticipated, long-hyped multi-version set being a dud. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to set myself up to be disappointed.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I would say yes. I believe the ME edition features a new Dolby Digital 5.1 remix along with the original 1.0 mono (which I prefer, honestly). I think the transfer is the same, though it says "newly approved" so someone else on this forum will have to confirm that bit.

In addition to the original commentaries and trailers/tv spots, it also contains a wealth of material from George Romero and interviews with the cast (Judy Ridley, Duane Jones [his last]). There are also photo galleries (stills, posters, collectibles, props), personal scrapbooks from some castmembers, the "Night of the Living Dead" short, the original shooting draft and liner notes from Stephen King.

The Romero material includes: History of Latent Image (the NOTLD prod. company), scenes from his later film "There's Always Vanilla", Romero directed TV commercials and short films.

For other Romero discs, I highly recommend Blue Underground's "The Crazies". It has one of the best commentaries I've ever heard, which is with Romero and moderated by DVD producer/filmmaker Bill Lustig. It's a great transfer and worth the price.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded (a long time ago). Off the top of my head, from a fuzzy memory of the original disc, the only new content on the ME is:

Interview with Judith Ridley
Audio Intervew with Duane Jones
Maybe 2 new 60s commercials
A clip from There's Always Vanilla
A clip from The Derelict

Other than that, everything on the old disc was ported over. Not really that big a deal. And, to me, a 5.1 remix for a film like this... kinda rediculous.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Actually the new Millenium Edition, in addition to the inclusion of ALL of the extras from the excellent Elite LD, is a dual-layer disc, unlike the first Elite release, which allows for a higher bitrate for the film itself. I don't still have the old version but it seems to me that the new one does have a slightly higher bitrate than the older disc. Anyway, if you're a fan of the film then it's definitely worth the upgrade just for the extras.

Back to DAWN... YIPEE!!! I'm so excited to finally own a decent copy of this film on DVD. I missed the first release so I've been waiting a long time for this one. I saw DAWN in 16mm (and NOTLD)last Halloween with Romero in attendance. It was a geek's dream come true.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn't surprise me that Anchor Bay has had trouble getting good elements for the Dario cut. I have the Dutch edition and the transfer of the Dario cut isn't that hot and the sound is medicore.

I'll still be buying the 3-disc or whatever Anchor releases later in the year, as I love this movie.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
The tentative release date for "Dawn of the Dead" Divimax Edition is 3/9/04 per the latest release calendar from DavisDVD.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I'll probably pick up the ME.

Like Brian, I missed the original release of Dawn and have been waiting for quite some time for this one. I'll be more than content for now to just have the original theatrical version (with restored A/V) for now and purchase the super (or not so super) edition later on this year.

BarryS

Second Unit
I managed to get the Dawn of the Dead Divimax DVD a bit early (since I work at a video store) and I watched it tonight. I was astonished. It's certainly the best I've ever seen this film look. The anamorphic transfer is beautiful for a 25-year-old film. Compared to the old 1998 DVD I had previously seen, this new one could easily be described as a night-and-day difference. The packaging is very nice and it has a brief essay in the liner written by Adam Rockoff. This disc should tide fans over well until the mega-huge box set comes out.

Doug Fisher

Auditioning
I too found the dvd early thanks to a foolish retailer. I had just written a big explanation here, but I guess hit a button by mistake and it is all gone.

Here is the quick recap.
Looks great on my system in progressive scan. DTS sounded amazing, but I couldnt crank my system up last night. I did note some cool bullet wizzing sounds during the shootout between Stephen and the mall security zombie. Thats probably a cheap example, but all I could really hear with my sound so low. It also includes a 5.1 dolby, 2.0, and mono track. Commentary as well (I am excited to give this a listen!)

The dvd is close to 9 gb in size. 2 easter eggs as well. One with Christine Romero and the other with Tom Savini sharing some fun stories.

I am used to the previous anchor bay "theatrical cut" and noted some new audio and dialogue being used in this version. I have been told by "Dawn experts" that these bits of dialogue and foley sounds were used on the 'original' theatrical cut.. not the previous anchor bay "theatrical cut" I had. Confusing I know..

Here are some menu shots including one with the easter egg.

And a comparison between the old dvd and the new.. the color on this capture is not as good as the picture looked on my tv. could be a windvd issue.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Holy guacamole - check the cropping on the old transfer!

Gary Tooze would have a heart-attack! :D ;)

Oh man, I can't wait to feast my eyes on this one. :emoji_thumbsup:

GCM

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Can't wait either! this is my fave horror movie (well one of my favorites!)

I'm gonna get this and the box set!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yes in fact I was so jazzed about Dawn coming out that I also ordered the Divimax "Day" and the 30th anniversary "Night" to go with it. Question on Night is that the Bad version or is it the ME version that has the Extra newly shot footage? I got the 30th anniversary for a good price

As to the cropping on the scenes above was the other transfer 1:85 and this one 2:35 it almost looks that way. Now who's gonna buy my old Dawn and Day disks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks