What's new

New Dawn of the Dead DVD details (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Oh, I see. Perhaps this is definately the way to go then. To have 3 different versions would be great!!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure I've only seen one cut... whichever one is most common on VHS (theatrical, I assume).

Can anyone give a brief summation of the differences between the 3 cuts? I like the movie and all, but I'm not sure if I want to sit through 3 versions if the differences are minor. My assumption is that director's cut = theatrical + extra footage, but what's up with the Argento cut?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The Argento cut features much more Goblin music, and contains numerous differences in dialogue. It also adds some bits and pieces that are missing from both the Theatrical and 'Director's Cut' edition (there's a memorable shot or two added to the SWAT team sequence at the start) and trims, lengthens or subtly re-arranges different parts of the film.

For the record, Romero's original workprint of DAWN ran for 170 minutes, and his original rough-cut ran for 150 minutes. Romero sent the 150 minute cut to Argento (who co-produced the film) in March 1978 for use as a guide to record the Italian soundtrack, and to aid the Goblin scoring sessions, and then continued to edit the film down. Romero was approached out-of-the-blue to screen DAWN at the 1978 Cannes Film Festival, and temporarily halted editing to prepare a 140 minute 'work-in-progress' 35mm print for use at the festival (where it met with a lot of success). Cinema V was given this 140 minute print when they acquired the 16mm distribution rights to the film, which is why for years the 16mm editition was the longest one around. Elite Entertainment's contracts with producer Richard Rubenstein used the phrase 'director's cut' as a label for that 140 minute edition, which was why their subsequent LD box set was labelled as such, but Romero reportedly prefers the 127 minute version and offhandedly said as much in his commentary for the LD box set. (The 140 minute cut also features library music in some sequences that was replaced by Goblin music in the final 127 minute cut - the opening blast of Goblin music alongside the main title is sorely missed in the 140 minute version). To me, the 127 minute version works best, but the extra footage in the two other versions (particularly the Cannes cut) is enlightening, and I'll be glad if the Anchor Bay box can collect it all under one roof.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been holding onto anchor bays 2 tape VHS of this for a while now, and well gladly wait for the box set, however it turns out.

I imagine the rights to the other cuts and material are delaying the set, and they need the 1 disc to get in the stores for the re-make. It's not really any different than what they did with Manhunter, Wicker Man, and The Stunt Man, each of which had special editions.

If the box set ends up being vapor ware, than I'll gladly grab the movie only disc.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Speaking of the older Elite LD box set (which I have) will any of these DVD's contain the outstanding commentary on that LD set? It is one of my favorites as it contains just the right balance of interesting facts and fun behind the scenes stories...it is also funny as hell in spots.

Savini:"..oww...my HEAD!
I wonder why Mystery Science Theater 3000 hasn't picked this one up?
MMM..there's some more of that strawberry milkshake blood!"
:D

I hope it somehow finds it's way onto one of these discs (well..that would have to be the DC as it was specifically recorded for it back in 94/95).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

Since there is only one version of the film that is of interest to me, I may just go for the single disc version. So, um, which cut is that going to be?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Don May owns the rights to DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD, and yes, Don May is very friendly with Anchor Bay. However, I dunno if there are any negotiations between Don and AB re: including DOCUMENT in the box set, although it certainly would make sense to include it.

Vincent

Joshua_W

Second Unit
It would make sense to include "Document" in the super-duper deluxe set from Synapse's point of view. Presumably they would draw some royalties from its inclusion, and AB's "Dawn" set will probably sell very well.

Whereas few places even bothering carrying Synapse's "Document" DVD.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I've got the theaterical cut DVD but have been waiting for the mega set for a LONG time. I'm a buyer. I drove through Monroeville last week but didn't have time to go by the mall.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I went to the Monreville Mall a few years ago when I was in the Pittsburg area, it was a trip. There have been lots of changes to the mall, but you'll be walking along and you'll stumble onto a section right out of the movie, plus the back of the mall is pretty much the same. I was surprised that they didn't have a standee or something in the mall's Suncoast with copies of DAWN OF THE DEAD displayed advertising that it was shot there :)

Vincent

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a two disc set should end up streeting for $15-20.
i won't complain on a double dip and they can take their sweet time on the mega set (i sold off all the eariler version for a profit anyway).
it'll be great to finally have this on the shelf again, hopefully with no a/v problems.

Haden

Supporting Actor
But the real question is: will the 2-disc version have anything on it that the eventual 4-disc set won't have? Similar to the LOTR DVDs... is there really any incentive for me to buy the 2-disc set if I plan to get the huge set later in 2004?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Going by those rumored set list, Disc 1 and 2 are wasted space.
Why not include both cuts on one DVD using branching?

If Fox can do that with Alien & Aliens, surely Anchor Bay can do it with Dawn.

Knowing Anchor Bay, the set will be affordably priced, but it smells like padding to me.

Doug

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The whole 4 or 5 disc set is a rumor anyway, isn't it? I don't think Anchor Bay has said anything about what's going on their SE or how big it's going to be, one way or another. All I've seen as far as what's going on it is wishlist stuff.

2 disc might be all we get. Which still isn't bad, but I'd hate to see people get all disappointed and angry at Anchor Bay because they didn't live up to expectations that shouldn't have ever been realistic in the first place--if in fact people are getting themselves all pumped up for a 4 or 5 disc set that only existed as a widely published fanboy wishlist (much like what recently happened with that Star Wars DVD news)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
No complaints here...new transfer, (likely) new audio, and I would assume at least as many extras as was on the Day of the Dead set. Top that off with the fact that it will likely be $15 it's first week of release at Target, and I'm finally gonna have the definitive versions of each film in the trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks