1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Dances With Wolves review at DVDfile

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Henry, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Well-Known Member

J. Michael Henry
    Here is the link...

Anyone considering replacing their DTS 2-disk set from Image? The new footage may push me, but, I'm still not sure...

2. Scott David

Scott David Well-Known Member

I used to own the laserdisc box set with the four-hour version, and while it has a few interesting additions, many scenes from the new footage were simply redundant, so I still prefer the original three-hour version. However, after reading that review on DVD File, the new DVD seems worth purchasing for the extras alone...so I'm on the fence.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Lou Sytsma
    If the extra footage is deemed redundant - which it appears to be - I'll pass on this one.

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Well-Known Member

I own the two disc dts version and wasn't planning on upgrading. I used to own the extended version laserdisc and I'm familiar with the added scenes. I'm torn because the 82 minute documentary sounds interesting to me and the two new screen-specific audio commentaries that are included, the first with Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, and the second with director of photography Dean Semler and the editor Neil Travis has really picked my interest. I may wait until after the release and see if I can find this on ebay for a lighter price unless there's a good deal on a preorder price.

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Well-Known Member

Yea! DVD-18. Kudos to MGM for still using this great format.

Doug

6. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I have the existing Image disc and I'll be buying the new one - but not to replace the Image. It will sit right there on the shelf next to the original, just like Apocalypse Now & AN Redux, and The Exorcist & TVYNS. I am a completist!

I'll be buying the new one because (1) I've never seen the extended version, and (2) the new commentary & docu both sound excellent.

7. Jon_W

Jon_W Well-Known Member

I own the original Image release plus the DTS version and I plan to buy this relesase too. I myself do not see the purcahse as an either or proposition. I think Dances With Wolves and Dances With Wolves: Extended Cut should be seen as two separate things, if two separate films. I will never get rid of my DTS version because I think the picture and sound quality of that release are amazing. I also will not get rid of the original Image release because it has the theatrical version all on one disc. I like what I read in the review, but man the review was poorly done in many ways. That sloppy cut and paste job in the first section, come on. DVDfile quality over speed, please!

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

I'll be getting the new one (eventually) to go alongside the original and my LD box set. I still don't see how they can advertise the long cut as an Oscar winner though - it's a different movie.

9. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

Much like with Lord of the Rings releases, I wanna have both versions. Firstly, it's two different cuts of the film, and secondly, there are different extras. If 2 new commentaries and an 82-minute doc (not to mention the extended cut) don't sway you, I really don't know what will.

10. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Well-Known Member

For the original theatrical cut...which one do you guys recommend? The DD or the DTS?

11. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Well-Known Member

I am going to purchase this. I won't be replacing the DTS version though. But I do want to check this version out and the Documentary that comes along.

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about added footage. In some movies, like T2 I thought the added footage was stupid, and will never watch it again. But in cases like LOTR:EE, I probably will never watch the original again.

I loved this movie so I'll give this a shot.

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get the DTS theatrical cut that image produced (now OOP)?

-dave

14. svenge

svenge Well-Known Member

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Working on our review as we speak.

16. Phil Dally

Phil Dally Well-Known Member

I suppose the next one will be SE with DTS.

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Well-Known Member

18. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Well-Known Member

Adam

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

I will be getting this version because I like the 4 hour version and have not seen the 82 min docu

[​IMG]