What's new

New Conan the Barbarian DVD coming? (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Apples and oranges - the film wasn't made in a faded and battered condition.

As long as the mono is on there - and in proper condition - they can remix to their heart's content. I'll give 'em a listen.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
NEW SPECIAL EDITION OF CONAN THE DESTROYER FOR REGION 2 UK!

Sanctuary Records is releasing a special edition DVD of conan the destroyer for region 2 UK. It will feature a commentary track with actress Sarah Douglas (Queen Taramis). She talks about her role in Conan, What it was like working with Arnold, Grace Jones, and the other actors - as well as about her career, including Superman. release date coming soon in September. more extras will be annouced at a later date. Sanctuary records got the rights to Conan from Castle home video. They released a movie only DVD of Conan back in 2000. Sanctuary Records recently released a special edition of both Dune and Blue Velvet on DVD.

JACOB

PS: the 2 pack with Conan The Barbarian and Destroyer is a flipper!

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator

Gee, that's bad. It means that you have to put up with the crappy sequel on the "B" side.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

What I have never understood is why Fox's international DVD has:

1. A truly remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack that blows the doors off Universal's domestic release. The sound effects and music are discrete, and there's absolutely no comparison between the mono mix (which sounds even worse -- i.e. more compressed -- on Universal's DVD than any other video version) and this remix. So much for the elements "not being available."

2. A much better 16:9 transfer than Universal's...less grain, warmer colors, and a stronger transfer overall.

Now, the international version was out not long after Universal's Special Edition (and contains ALL the supplements from the American disc as well), so I've never bought Universal's contention that the elements "weren't available" to them. Obviously they must have been available to Fox, because it's like night and day between the two DVDs.

As far as another U.S. DVD goes, I'm all for including the original mono mix, but remember that it wasn't an artistic decision not to record the sound in stereo. DeLaurentiis simply refused to put up the money for CONAN to be mixed/released in stereo. IMO, CONAN's original mono sound was badly recorded and mixed in the first place (it's not like JAWS' excellent mono mix).

CONAN is a movie that cries out for stereophonic sound, and once you see it in Fox's 5.1 remix, there's no need to ever go back to the mono -- especially if it sounds as awful as it does on Universal's DVD (tinny and compressed, and much worse than it does on the laserdisc release).

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
A very strange 2-movie pack. A flipper disc, and there's an empty pocket on the inside of the case, like there was going to be a booklet or insert, but then someone changed their mind.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just picked this up today at Best Buy for $10. I mainly wanted it for The Barbarian and I am glad to read that the transfer is good.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Why would anyone want to stick with a MONO soundtrack?

That is like saying NAY against CD quality and sticking with 8 TRACK

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Because this was a mono movie and since the stems couldn't be found, the 5.1 was spacialized with new effects.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Too be helpful;
Your speaking of formats.
Were speaking of sources.

If you have a high quality source, of coarse you'd wish it to be formatted too a high quality format (your: CD over 8-track). However if you have a mono source, you do not want to rechannel that source to fake 5.1. Even worse, to a film purist, is a source that contains non original sound effects.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Yup. Think of it this way, Todd: Blazing Saddles was originally mono, but you don't hear much (or any?) complaints about the new DVD being in 5.1. Why? Because they had all the original elements and were thus able to improve the quality without messing with it artistically. If you dumped the 5.1 down to a single channel, you'd hear all the same sounds in the same way as before.

Not so on the 5.1 version of Conan the Barbarian. They added/changed stuff. And not with finesse, either.

James T

Screenwriter
Wasn't the main reason of keeping mono was that Basil wanted money for his track to be 5.1. When the studios refused, I think they might have changed their mind on 5.1 altogether.

Is the Conan the Destroyer R2 the director's cut? That's what I want to see.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
only universal has the right to the cut footage of conan the destroyer.. R2 will not have any deleted scenes or put scenes back into the movie.. I am not sure if the theatre version of conan the destroyer is the director's cut or not.
I am still want the cut scenes shown as a special edition for conan the destroyer for region 1.
JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks