What's new

New Carson Collection?!? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's just easier for them to re-release this material, which has had all of its clearances taken care of, than to assemble a new collection, obtain guest and music clearances, send out contracts, etc.

In other words, laziness. As others have said, it's a shame that they're not at least releasing some of the old pre-assembled clip packages (i.e. the anniversary specials or Carson's Comedy Classics).

If Carson's nephew does indeed control the archive, then it's apparent he doesn't really need the money, or he'd be out there trying to exploit it as much as possible. Have you seen all the hoops you have to jump through (and costs, many of which unrefundable) just to licence a clip from the archive? $500 for a timecoded screening cassette of a clip, not counting the cost of licencing said clip? And I thought the costs of the individual shows (when they were doing them) were high...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The estate will sell clips from the shows in the archives...with time-code burnt-in...@ $500 a pop? :eek:

Why would they do that?

And they were selling complete shows? Same deal? Time code burnt-in? I missed all this.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

They were selling complete shows on VHS, but not timecoded or anything like that. They were the real deal, complete with the original national commercials. If I remember right, pricing was about $100 or 125 per show, and $75 for each additional show (but no more than four at a time). That's what the "guest search" feature on the site was originally for: to find the show(s) you were looking for. Yes, it was expensive, but I think most of the money was to pay residuals to the musicians, guests, etc. who appeared in each show.

They stopped selling complete shows 2-3 years (?) ago due to the fact that some of the people buying shows were pirating multiple copies of them on eBay.

I bought two shows and, one I'd saved up some more money, intended to buy 2-4 more. When the day came, I went on the site and discovered the unhappy news! I so wanted to get Rod Hull and Emu's second appearance! Glad I got the first one when I had the chance!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Too bad, Andy.

I would love a copy of a show from the early 70s which I used to have an audio copy of (might still in some form, actually) in which In Johnny's monologue he told a joke about a Nixon White House dinner at which, since times were tight and they were "cutting back" at the White House, General Alexander Haig had to wash up afterwards in his helmet. That was the punchline...and there wasn't a peep from the audience.

As we all know, Johnny was at his best when the material failed. He went back to that joke time and time again during the monologue and had a great time with it. I would LOVE to see that again. I remember at one time Carson referenced that particular joke/occasion during a Rolling Stone interview.

The sale of individual shows was certainly a unique marketing idea. Too bad they haven't figured out the incredible demand for the stores of material in their archives.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to upgrade to the DVD release of the "Ultimate Collection" from the VHS tapes. However, I have read over at amazon.com that some material has been cut on the DVD version over what appears on the VHS tapes. Is this true? If so then what has been cut from previous release and why?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm not sure many people are aware of it, but the Carson estate has donated every existing episode of the Tonight Show that Johnny Carson hosted to the Museum of TV and Radio in NY & LA. You can actually go there and for the price of admission to the museum, see virtually every episode that Carson hosted from 1973-1992, along with a few shows from the 60s and early 70s. The picture quality is quite good, studio master VHS, with the episodes all unedited and with original commercials. It's quite a treasure trove! People should definitely check it out.

Last time I was there, I saw a 90 minute episode from 5/14/80, with Jimmy Stewart and Don Adams. Stewart read a poem his daughter wrote to get the milkman not to deliver any more milk. He also told behind the scenes stories from some of his films, like dropping Margaret Sullavan on the set of The Mortal Storm and not being able to ski. He also talked about renovating his pool. Adams talked about his early days as a stand-up comedian warming up for Mae West and told a funny story of being on the same plane as Carson, but riding in coach while Carson was in first class. Also saw the 10/30/81 episode with Michael Landon and Sheena Easton. Carson's conversations with his guests were the best part for me. He really knew how to connect with them.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
While that's certainly great to know (and I'm somewhat familiar with the Museum of TV and Radio Broadcasting, having once gone to their New York facility in 1985), it could be addictive. I live in San Diego now and rarely get up to Los Angeles, so it's not that convenient for me anyway. :)

In addition to The Tonight Show, there are so many other series from decades past you can watch for free. It's best to go for the rare stuff and material you think will never see the light of DVDay.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's very rare that the Museum of TV and Radio has a complete run of anything. They usually just have a handful of episodes from various series. That they managed to get a virtually complete run of Carson's Tonight Shows from 73-92 is the exception, not the rule. It's nice that there is at least some way to view all these programs.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If only NBC hadn't been so foolish to delete the COLOR VIDEOTAPES of every Jack Paar Tonight Show from the late 1950s to 1962 and many of the Johnny Carson Tonight Shows from 1962 to the late 1960s...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Whoever that guy was who made that dumbass decision to throw those out...

IIRC, NBC was worried they were running out of storage space in a warehouse. :rolleyes

===================

It's great that the Broadcasting Museums have these...but I don't ever see me getting to view any that way. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That post of mine I've quoted is from April. And it's deja vu all over again.

According to my ol' buddy Dave Lambert @ tvshowsondvd.com...the Carson Estate is doing it again.

Except this time it's all previously released stuff...and packaged with an MSRP of $99.99. Personally I would LOVE to be able to get the six-disc Timeless Moments part of the package...but I've already got what I want of the rest of the re-packaged stuff. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Too expensive and too repetitious.

They need to separate the stuff out and dig into the vaults!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It's ridiculous that they have thousands of hours of great stuff and are simply rehashing the same material. Are they even attempting to clear more stuff ? How insulting to the fans and to Johnny's memory.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
One word to describe this "new" package = LAME

It's a shame that Johnny's 30 year legacy is going to be reduced to a relatively small number of clips that are going to be recyled over and over again.

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a complete list of Carson DVDs released to date? I trying to figure out if I have all of them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C'mon in, kids. It's that time of the year again to revel in some major disappointment regarding Johnny Carson's legacy on DVD.

Just in time for the holiday shopping season, my local BJs Wholesale Club has gotten in about a dozen copies of the big Carson DVD Collection ($59.99). It includes the expected fare:

...and it's got some seasonal graphics dressing up the sticker. But that's it. No details of what's on the disc. There seems to be no information available at johnnycarson.com. Maybe it's THIS?

Who knows? It's really sad that there is no substantive new material coming from the Carson vaults.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What the hell is wrong at the Carson estate ? Do they really expect people to buy the exact same stuff over and over again ? I know the first decade or so of Johnny's run was destroyed but wouldn't that leave a good 20 years worth of great material ? So where is it ? At the very least they could launch a syndicated show with the best of the interviews.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shame on me for not checking in with Dave on this issue, Anthony. Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

That must be, then, the bonus disc, inside the box.

We gotta get some new material, Carson estate! Think of the money to be made!

Even my 18-year old son, who was raised in a completely Johnny-free world (which is a sad enough thing. He only knows of Leno & Letterman and the newer guys.) has watched these compilation discs and sees what I'm talking about when it comes to Carson's "accessibility."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's "Deja vu all over again." :eek:(

A "new" Carson Collection of rehashed rehash.

This is another situation which gets more ridiculous with each passing year as the audience which loved and revered Johnny continues to get smaller and smaller.

I'll meet you all again back here in another year or two as I find this same core of material re-packaged yet again (although they're not even doing much of a job with the "repackaging").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks