What's new

New Blu-ray titles: Kingdom of Heaven 1st 50 gb dual layer (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
In another thread the specs were posted in greater details and all Fox titles will be using the advanced video codec of AVC (MPEG4).

No MPEG2 anywhere.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

The information below could be an error, but if it isn't, perhaps some of the MGM titles had already been encoded by Sony prior to Fox taking over distribution?

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/99/14399.php

"Each of the MGM BD releases is encoded in MPEG 2 and authored in HDMV and features DTS HD Master (Lossless) Audio on selected tracks along with Spanish and Parisian French language tracks."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

That's possible with the MGM releases. I don't have any information.

But if they're using lossless DTS, how would Dolby True HD be any better? BD players can access the DTS core for legacy SPDIF output just like DD. Is there an advantage to Dolby True HD?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

It is more efficient and provides a legacy 640kbps (DD+ quality) backwards compatible track that sounds better than DTS lossy.

Plus MLP is tried & true and THD is likely to be supported far more.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Kingdom of Heaven

Director's Cut

on 50 Gb.

God DAMN.

If it lives up to expectations, I may just be lured into buying a BD player this Christmas...

*starts to sketch new, dual-format sig, just in case*

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
KoH:DC is the second title that might get me to consider Blu-Ray. The first was, interestingly, ANOTHER Ridley Scott film. Black Hawk Down.

Strong test for the BD 50's. KoH is a monster.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Are you saying that DD lossy at 640 sounds subjectively better than DTS lossy at 1500? (an honest question here).

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Lionsgate screwed up Terminator 2 (my favourite movie of all time) big time PQ wise. Until THAT is re-released the way it should be viewed and heard, I MIGHT then consider dipping into Blu-Ray.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
You mean this T2?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/terminator2.html

"That said, I can say I was very impressed with this Blu-ray release from Lionsgate -- it is certainly up there with the best of the first Blu-ray titles I've yet seen from any studio...framed at 2.35:1 and encoded at 1080p, this transfer is a clear step up from all previous NTSC video versions...where this Blu-ray upgrade really shines is in the level of detail and color reproduction..."

Some people just won't admit they are biased against Blu-ray.

Real Name
Efrain Lopez III
Has it been confirmed one way or the other (or do we not know yet), whether the Blu-ray Kingdom of Heaven will be the same as the 4-disc Director's Cut (including all the special features)?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
"Each of the MGM BD releases is encoded in MPEG 2 and authored in HDMV and features DTS HD Master (Lossless) Audio on selected tracks along with Spanish and Parisian French language tracks."

That news story is from today, which makes me think that any of the Fox titles listed as using HDMV and not AVC will be using MPEG2 authored in HDMV....it's not made plain. Too bad, as Kingdom of Heaven DC is something that would cause me to jump the fence and pick a side (or choose both sides whereas before I was leaning toward HD-DVD). Will the extra storage space completely remove the possibility of artifacts if the transfer is done correctly?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think he had a good point. The thread is about FOX releasing KOH:TDC on BD50: a disc structure that everyone has been adamantly denying exists or works outside of a lab. The poster he was responding posted about how he has no intention of looking at BD until the allegedly "screwed up" transfer for T2 is redone. What does that actually have to do with FOX's announcement of KOH on BD50? Absolutely nothing.

It just seemed like another opportunity to bomb a thread containing positive BD news with negativity. A person doesn't like BD....fine....just don't keep jumping into every thread with positive BD news and start iterating to everyone how much you dislike BD.

This KOH announcement is good news. If the video reviews turn out to be good, I'm going to have figure how to pay for a BD player to go along with the HD DVD one.

Edit: I should add that you had a good point too. :)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I am biased towards Blu-ray and never have indicated otherwise.

What I don't do is go into HD DVD threads and say "I'll never buy HD DVD as long as Serenity looks like crap!" (it doesn't). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks