What's new

New Army of Darkness dvd info!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
I have the "Conan Cover" version which has Bruce/Raimi commentary and is the European "Director's Cut" of the film.
All I know is that it was limited release and that plus the "Bruce Face" version that came out last year = The really limited Anchor Bay "2 pack" that came out several years ago (which is supposedly a close approximation of the LD)
I also know that the Universal one (the one with the "Frazetta style Poster" cover) is very skimpy on extras and should be avoided.
As for the "Bootleg" and the German "Necronomicon cover" versions, I don't know what the difference in content is.
For you confused 1st time buyers (Trust me, I was one not too long ago and there were only 4 versions to buy at the time!) I suggest the "Conan Cover" and the "Bruce Face" OR the limited "2 Pack" (but that one is really hard to find and/or expensive)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The "Bruce screaming" disc wasn't released last year. It hit stores in '99, released alongside the 2-disc limited edition. The "Conan cover" disc is no longer in print, and its scarcity is what prompted Anchor Bay to put out the bootleg edition in the first place.
Someone on DVD Talk posted a scan of the back of the bootleg cover -- as far as I can tell, it doesn't differ in any way whatsoever from last summer's limited edition director's cut or the second disc of the limited edition. Here 'tis:
Link Removed
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think this disc is widely available in Canada, as I have seen it everywhere since last tuesday.
The cover is basically the limited edition, with a brown paper bag covering the image.
cheers!
Josh

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I saw this at Futureshop yesterday for $20.99.
Since I don't own this title yet, which version would anyone suggest? Would this one be a good one to have?
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Is it really a paper bag or does the cover art just look like the case is in a paper bad?
As for this supposed MGM restoration, I don't know what to make of it. But I own the original 2-disc LE and will stick to it unless the MGM release has the commentary track from the Anchor Bay release, and even then it'll be a hard sell for me.
Oh, and Scott Rogers: the "book of the dead" German release is actually Evil Dead 1, not AOD. Anchor Bay is releasing a new edition of Evil Dead early next year in R1 with the very same cover.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
It's not really a paper bag. The normal Alpha case just has artwork that makes it look like a paper bag. The insert is a one-sided card that has a looseleaf notebook look to it. The actual DVD has a recordable DVD look as artwork.
For anyone still confused and still interested, you can get the whole shebang by picking up these two DVDs:
Army of Darkness
Theatrical Cut by Anchor Bay
8326t.jpg

Army of Darkness: Official Bootleg Edition
Director's Cut by Anchor Bay
40726t.jpg

Getting those two is the same content as the very expensive 2-disc limited edition that goes for ridiculous prices on eBay. And the Official Bootleg Edition = The Director's Cut Anchor Bay (single disc) DVD, with different artwork.
Both are readily available at e-tailers and B&M retailers alike. Both can be found for less than $20 each. Costco sells the Evil Dead 2: SE / Army of Darkness (Theatrical) two-pack for $19.99 in some stores. The Official Bootleg Edition can be found in Best Buy for $12.99.
[Edited last by Greg Yurkovic on October 28, 2001 at 01:03 PM]

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that on November 20th Anchor Bay will put out ANOTHER version of AOD. I don't have any version of this great flick yet (I don't know why) but should I just get the bootleg edition or should I wait till Nov. 20th??

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Army of Darkness Director's Cut Bootleg Edition today at Best Buy for the amazing price of $12.99. It seemed to be selling very well as there were only three copies. Either that or they just didn't get many. The film is 96 minutes, which is the longest AOD cut I've ever seen. The Director's Cut I saw on VHS was only 88 minutes. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, only the first twenty minutes or so with the Raimi/Campbell commentary. The picture looks good, but some of the added scenes are lower quality than the rest of the film. Sound is only DD Surround 2.0. I can't say if it's worth buying if you already have another. I have only seen this one and the Anchor Bay THX release. This is the first AOD DVD that I've owned, so I had no problem buying it (at $12.99 it's a steal too).
Is there any reason to own the Anchor Bay "Screaming Bruce" cover release in addition to the Bootleg Edition?
[Edited last by Barry S on October 29, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Yes, there is a good reason for owning the original "Screaming Bruce" covered version.. It's the original American theatrical cut, and it looks sooo much better than the DC (which at times looks like VHS.) Also has both endings on the disc, of which I prefer the S-Mart ending.
On another note, is there anyone who has made a nice cover for these discs to be put together? (like the limited edition artwork.) Or does that amount to piracy, which I know is a bad thing on this forum.
I really hate the bootleg look of the new DC release.
furious.gif

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Is there any reason to own the Anchor Bay "Screaming Bruce" cover release in addition to the Bootleg Edition?
As Scott said, Yes. There are many differences between the two cuts (you can check IMDB.com for some of the differences.) Having both is like having the definitive (for now) set of discs on thef film. If you're only a minor fan of the film, owning one is okay too. :)

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I have the limited edition and will hold onto it. However, if MGM does, in fact, have the international rights to the director's cut and can release a version that includes those extra scenes during the last third of the movie from a film source, as opposed to the VHS and Beta tapes Anchor Bay used, then I am absolutely going to buy it.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks