What's new

New Apple Keyboard: My Impressions (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aside from USB 2.0 power issues, how's the keyboard? Are the Expose function buttons working well, etc? I'm having issues with my new MS Keyboard (wonky space bar), and may reconsider the Apple keyboard.

RichP

Second Unit
Just to offer a contrary opinion as a Mac user for more than 10 years...

I hate this keyboard. It simply feels wrong and like a huge step backwards for me. I was typing on chicklet keys in the 80's with a TI-99, I do not see the need to return to that in 2007.

I use Apple's bluetooth keyboard and find it very effective. The action and the spacing is fine for me, and apart from the rare, occasional dropped key, it works fine.

I really wanted to like the new keyboard, but I think it's awful. I'm typically a 70-80wpm typist, and that was easily cut by 1/3 using the flatboard. Add to the fact that the wireless version omits the keypad and other keys and I think Apple dropped the ball here. I'll stick with the bluetooth board I have, and in fact will probably buy another one before they're completely phased out.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Dave, fyi: Purolator would not let me pick up my Dell order, so I still have not received my keyboard. It's not that I have it and am not reviewing it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I returned the MS 4000 -- the spacebar was too clunky and the keys too mushy in general.

I took a good look at the Wave keyboard. I like it, but only the wireless set is available in retail and I don't want to mail order it. And I've found the stencils for Windows functions on the Function keys confuse me when I set my own OS X mappings.

I gave the new Apple keyboard another try at CompUSA, but I need a curved or ergo keyboard. Unfortunately, there is not a single good ergo Apple keyboard available.

I would have been content with my MS Natural Elite, but there's no effective way to remap the Win / Alt keys. There's a tool to do this, but it's global and also remaps the laptop keys, which is then confusing when I "undock".

So I bought the Comfort Curve 2000 on sale for $15. It's the current baseline quasi-ergo keyboard from MS and it's a keeper. The keys are springy but not clicky, pretty close to how I like them. The curve is a fair approximate to the ergonomic split keyboard style. The MS software swaps the Alt and Win key to mimic standard Apple placement. The Function keys don't have stencils of Windows functions (open, close, email, etc.), so I'm not visually confused between between labels and the OS X usage. The built-in iTunes / Volume control works fine. I was able to map the Menu key to Eject. I'm unable to re-map the brightness keys from their default ScrLk & Pause keys.

And I ordered the Logitech Revolution MX from Amazon. I assuming that 2.4 GHz will work fine in my office (fingers crossed).

So I've finally got a keyboard and will have a new mouse soon. (whew)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks