What's new

New Apple iBooks? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hey, everyone! I've never owned an Apple computer, but I'm looking into getting an iBook. However, they don't come with USB2 ports, and they can't be upgraded through a PCI card. I was wondering if any of you had any suspicions as to when we might see new models. Before Christmas? Thanks! I'll probably have other questions later about Macs in general, so please don't take offense to my stupid questions. Later!

Rob

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I doubt that Apple will ever add a PC Card slot to the iBooks. They appear to be reserving PC Card slots, dual desktop mode, and Gigabit Ethernet for PowerBooks. I would expect USB 2.0 to show up on the next generation of iBooks, but I have no idea when Apple will announce those.

In the meantime, you might take a look at the 12" and 15" PowerBooks. They're a little bit more expensive than the Combo iBooks, but for under $2000, you could get either a 12" SuperDrive PowerBook, or a 15" Combo PowerBook. Both have USB 2.0; the (edit: 15") PowerBook also has FireWire 800 and a PC Card slot.

If those are too expensive, a $300 "upgrade" from the 12" iBook to the 12" Combo PowerBook will get you USB 2.0, dual desktop mode, a G4 CPU, and about twice the maximum RAM capacity. Don't get me wrong -- I like the iBook -- but Mac OS X LOVES RAM, and with the G5 out, the G3 is starting to look a little long in the tooth.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I definitely would bet that you'll see revised iBooks before the holiday buying season. And USB 2.0 ports on them are a near certainty. BTW, I would second the recommendation for the 12" PowerBook. I love mine...an outstanding balance of power and ultra-portability.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
By far the most reliable side for future Mac hardware rumors is Macrumors.com

Indeed they have been reporting recently that a new iBook is likely before the end of the year and indeed it would likely sport USB 2.0.

Ted

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
What's the difference between the Powerbooks now? No superdrive? The 12" looks to have better features than my 1st rev 12" PB.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
This Friday, the 24th, Apple Stores are holding an event...anybody familiar with whether attendance is worthwhile?

In the past, I've gone to events where I've received semi-interesting/worthless freebees - magnets and posters. I just called the Southdale, MN Apple Store and was told that this event officially ends at midnight, but they're expecting to open until 2 a.m. since the Mall of America location is closed for renovation. He also wouldn't divulge what freebees will be handed out.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The specs are remarkably similar to the original 12" PowerBook. Of course, the iBook can't run dual displays and doesn't come with built-in Bluetooth standard, But for $700 less...

Peter, I've found the launch events worthwhile only if you HAVE to have the latest piece of software the minute it comes out. The freebies I've gotten in the past (posters, keychain, t-shirt) were only worthwhile in that I was able to sell them for a few $$ on eBay.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks Michael...saved me a trip this Friday. Although, I was entirely unaware that there is a demand for the posters, keychains, and magnets that I have collecting dust.

Hmm...now I might want to attend this Friday just to see what the freebies will be.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Upgrades: G4, USB 2.0, AirPort Extreme (new?), option for Bluetooth

Differences:

1. New iBook maxes out at 640 MB RAM, 12" TiBook at about twice that.

2. New iBook is limited to video mirroring, 12" TiBook is capable of running extended desktop (dual display).

3. Largest HD on iBook is 60 GB, on 12" TiBook is 80 GB.

4. Bluetooth is $50 extra on the iBook.

5. There is no SuperDrive option on the iBook.

6. iBook now uses a slot-loading drive.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually those specs are for the current 12" PowerBook. The original model released in January was limited to 640 MB RAM (same as the new iBook).

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
iBook does not have Firewire 800.

Also, Macslash is reporting that there is no mention of "Velocity Engine" in the tech specs. Velocity engine is the Altivec enhancement for the processor - now it may be assumed it has Altivec since that's what makes it a G4 but the absence of the term leads some to believe they are using some sort of "new" G4 processor.

At this point, there is little reason to buy the G4 Powerbook unless you need the Superdrive (or dig the aluminum). Of course, this will change soon enough when Apple puts something new in the PB G4.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone found any reviews of them yet? I'm very curious...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They only were announced today!
Lol! My bad... I thought they were released to stores yesterday. Sorry.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I imagine they'll show up in stores soon enough if they aren't already there. The online Apple Store shows a 3-5 day shipping estimate.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The world’s best-loved consumer portable gets an impressive makeover with a superfast PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine, a new architecture, a slot-loading optical drive and enhanced wireless networking capabilities. Plus Mac OS X v10.3 Panther, the world’s most advanced operating system. Starting at just $1099.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Found myself with a lot of free time on Friday, so I headed over to the Apple Store (Southdale Mall, MN). Outside of the customary event discount (10%) and the intro of Panther, nothing too special.

The freebie for the event was an Apple 'OS X' metal dogtags, commemorating the release of Panther.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks