What's new

New Apocalypse Now DVD set this year? (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
“You know how hard it is too find, a board you like!”

I have two versions of this classic film now, the one thing that ticked me off, was the framing, a bit short of the full width, having seen it only a few years earlier, Dolby Stereo A type, optical only, and yes seeing it in it’s full scope 2.35:1 was a treat.

So why does the DP, keep pushing to crop the image that is utter madness!?

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Because Vittorio Storaro, although a great cinematographer, is a little crazy when it comes to this monstrous idea he's invented of framing all films to be in the 2.00:1 aspect ratio. It's called Univision. Here's an article he wrote about it:

http://www.cinematography.net/Files/univision.pdf

I've never understood how he can be so indifferent to butchering his own work.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Vincent

LOL

Maybe the guy is on drugs!? Yeah that link was fascinating, still when you look at the two different visions on DVD, there not alike the colour is also different with “Redux” version.

I think this is all one big scam!? The budget for the film was over budget was it not, and did the film make back it’s investment, the point I’m getting at is, there don’t what to share with us the true 2.35:1 and nothing but the 2.35:1, what we should do as consumers, is say where not going to buy it, sooner or later there’ll be forced to release it as it was seen in the cinema, nothing more and nothing less!?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
If it's due in August, I imagine we'll get a concrete announcement fairly soon, over the coming weeks (or month, or so). Very cool. This feels like another solid year for catalogue releases.

Okay, ZAP Productions, once you finish with APOCALYPSE NOW and BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, could you turn your archival and restoration / supplement-creating attention to THE COTTON CLUB? I'd love an extended, doco'ed and commentaried edition of that film.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Also for Dracula, Winona Ryder had a nude scene, though it was most likely a body double as you couldn't see her head in the shot.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Here's my wish for the definitive version of this film on DVD:

I have seen a 16mm anamorphic reduction print of the original 35mm release. This version not only featured the conclusive destruction of the Kurtz compound, but the white-on-black end credits were in fact superimposed over the footage, unlike Coppola's DVD with the ending (sans credits) as a supplement.

I even remember the Canadian network premiere of the film, and the commercial breaks were prefaced with the "Apocalypse Now" title card over the initial napalm blast from the sequence. The end title sequence of all original video releases (including the original letterboxed LD) is clearly a 4:3 squeezed source from an anamorphic 35mm print.

Storaro's rewriting of his own history is a disservice to the composition of the film considering the current transitional state of home video.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From DVD Times; Apocalypse Now - The Complete Dossier (R1) in August :

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Apocalypse Now - The Complete Dossier for 15th August 2006. Nominated for 8 Academy Awards, this classic and compelling Vietnam War epic stars Martin Sheen as Captain Willard, who is sent on a dangerous and mesmerizing odyssey into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade American Colonel named Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who has succumbed to the horrors of war and barricaded himself in a remote outpost. Also stars Robert Duvall, Laurence Fishburne, Dennis Hopper and Harrison Ford.

This Special Collector’s Edition includes both the 1979 and 2001 editions of the film plus over 2 hours of bonus materials including:
Audio Commentaries
Rare, unseen footage
Lost scenes
Brand-new featurettes
Segments from the Cutting Room Floor
”Then & Now” retrospectives and More!

That's, ah, unusual box art!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
sounds great!
at this point though,I think I would prefer just the theatrical version on HD DVD (or blu-ray for those that swing that way). If they want to toss everything in at once, that's fine too- but a simple HD release would get me just as excited as a jam packed SE on standard def.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Rare, unseen footage
Lost scenes
Segments from the Cutting Room Floor

I love how how pretty much the same feature gets listed as three seperate things making it look like theres more on here than there actually is.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
If this set is presented in the original theatrical aspect ratio I'll be doing cartwheels.

If not I'll have to think a bit about purchasing it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This announcement is a little bittersweet unfortunately. While I would have definitely picked up this release if the Hearts of Darkness documentary had found its way onto it, as it stands now I think I will be relunctant to do so unless the aspect ratio has been changed back to 2.35:1.

Edited to say:

lol at Jim K writing nearly the exact same thing as I did as I typed this...

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
If anyone knows anything more about this set, I'm eager to hear it. I've held off on grabbing the original cut (at its relatively high price point) for a while.

On the other hand, The Digital Bits is calling this a 2-disc edition. That doesn't seem like enough space to do justice to two long films and all of the extras mentioned. Maybe it's actually 3 discs...?

The absence of Hearts of Darkness is also frustrating, but I'm still really excited about this release.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
DavisDVD also mentions a 2-disc set, so I'd think they're using seamless branching.

Tom_Ca

Agent

I don't think so.

"In a note released with the film, Coppola emphasizes that this new material was not simply shoehorned into the original version of the film, but that "Redux" is "a new rendition of the movie from scratch." He and his longtime editor Walter Murch "re-edited the film from the original unedited raw footage -- the dailies," he says, and so possibly even some of the shots that look familiar to us are different takes than the ones we saw before."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks