What's new

New and excited to get started (1 Viewer)

jbeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hello everyone! I just purchased my first home theater setup and I have been scouring the internet for tips, tricks, and advice. I was very happy to find this forum and I can't wait for the mailman to show up with some rather large boxes in a few days. My initial purchase was for an Epson 3500 (refurbished), a Vapex 110" tensioned electronic screen, an Onkyo HT-S3700, and the associated mounts and remotes. My throw will be right at 12' in a room with very poor light control (at the moment). I am very interested in some of the diy screens I have seen and I am pretty sure I will be trying them out in other rooms. I have exactly ZERO experience with home theaters but I have pretty thick skin. I want the best experience I can within my budget so if I say or buy something dumb please let me know! I look forward to learning from all of you.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
jbeau said:
Hello everyone! I just purchased my first home theater setup and I have been scouring the internet for tips, tricks, and advice. I was very happy to find this forum and I can't wait for the mailman to show up with some rather large boxes in a few days. My initial purchase was for an Epson 3500 (refurbished), a Vapex 110" tensioned electronic screen, an Onkyo HT-S3700, and the associated mounts and remotes. My throw will be right at 12' in a room with very poor light control (at the moment). I am very interested in some of the diy screens I have seen and I am pretty sure I will be trying them out in other rooms. I have exactly ZERO experience with home theaters but I have pretty thick skin. I want the best experience I can within my budget so if I say or buy something dumb please let me know! I look forward to learning from all of you.
Did you buy a bluray player that plays all zones? This is essential if you want to see the best in world cinema .You will be very limited in your choice of films otherwise.

jbeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I have an Xbox1 that I intended to use as my primary system but I also have an older bluray player that probably doesn't have any of the worthwhile options included. Do you happen to know if the Xbox will cover my needs? Also, please school me on "zones". Yes, I am really that new.

ETA: I think something like this is what you mean....http://www.amazon.com/Sony-S5200-Player-Connectors-Bundle/dp/B00M0UC4K2/ref=pd_sim_504_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51-T34ct5SL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1522QD6RYK8AY94D4H81 Something that will play a bluray from Russia for example as opposed to being limited to North and South America.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
jbeau said:
I have an Xbox1 that I intended to use as my primary system but I also have an older bluray player that probably doesn't have any of the worthwhile options included. Do you happen to know if the Xbox will cover my needs? Also, please school me on "zones". Yes, I am really that new.
I know nothing about Xbox but blurays /dvds are often zone(bluray) and area (dvds) encoded.If you do not have a player that will play all discs from any country,then you may find yourself buying discs from overseas that will not play on your player.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It depends on what movies you intend to watch...

Summer blockbusters of the last 20 years.

Obscure Italian and French from the 50s and 60s.

Summer blockbusters tend to get the same release worldwide(no. That is not an absolute).

Obscure 50s and 60s Italian and French tend to only be released in Europe with varying degrees as to the quality of subtitles...etc.

jbeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Okay, I think I understand. I may need to look into a new bluray player. I was just working on my Google skills to find out about the Xbox and it appears it will not play all zones. Also, there seems to be some debate about its support for 3D bluray.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you like 3D BD...

A multi-region player is almost a must.

Disney only sells them in the UK(as English friendly) and some of them are Region B locked.

Several other movies are only released in Germany(the list of "only released in Germany" is quite long and shocking).

MOC/BFI/Eureka discs tend to see release dates well before Criterion, Twilight Time or Synapse ever even think about it.

jbeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
My wife really likes everything Disney, 3D is still on the table so we will see. I still haven't tried out 3D at home yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks