What's new

New amp now what? (1 Viewer)

Ding Guy

Grip
Real Name
matt
I just picked up a nice carver 2 ch. amp, it's a beast. Now I was wanting some of you guy's to tell me what you would do with it. First off I have 5.1 set up. Reciever is Integra 7.8 and speakers are Klipsch rf 83's and matching suronds, rt 12d sub. I can do so much with the amp I can't make up my mind. Here's what I got so far, in no order.

1) a- run it bridged mono to a 12,15,18 sub in a custom box, 850 watt

b- 4 ohm stereo to 2 12's 15's , 425 watt per chan.

2) run my integra to the high's on the RF 83's and run the carver to the 3 - 8's, Is that still BI-amping?

3) use it in a 2 chan. setup.

OR)............

I would love to get some ideas or votes on would you do. At this point the bridged mono is a slight favorite.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a similar Carver that I am going to use with a set of SVS passive cylinder "clones" that I am building. I did model them after the older Plus series after picking up a pair of the Plus drivers.

Ding Guy

Grip
Real Name
matt
That sounds good. Do you think it would be better to go with dual subs or with 1 large 1 with twice the power? Thats one of the things that I have no idea about. Does it matter or is it just to each is own?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Option 2: It doesn't work that way. You can't bi-amp with mismatched amps. To be more clear, it will function and you will get sound, it just doesn't work properly. Bi-amping requres identical amps to work properly.

I would use a different option and use the Carver to power your L/R speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ding Guy

That sounds good. Do you think it would be better to go with dual subs or with 1 large 1 with twice the power? Thats one of the things that I have no idea about. Does it matter or is it just to each is own?

It depends on your goal, the sub(s) you pick, your constraints (box size limits, etc) and your budget. I went with dual subs because the amp will drive 4 ohm loads in stereo. When I picked up the used drivers, I bought both of them to save on shipping so that's how I ended up going with dual subs.

Same way with my current setup. My Behringer EP-2500 will drive a 2 ohm load in stereo and each of my subs is a quad 2 ohm voice coil. I have each sub wired at 2 ohms so the amp is capable of putting out 800w per channel at 20 hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks