What's new

New Airs Announced (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Michael_K_Sr said:
Macworld with the goods before the store was even back up. i5's and i7's! Only question...how fast can I get one??
Apparently it ships in 24 hours according to the site. I bet the Apple stores either have them today or within 1-2 days max. The new MInis look very capable as well. I still am holding out hope for a new Mac Pro soon. I still think that a Mac Pro with internal RAID setup (not buying the extra RAID card, just using the native OSX RAID support) is better than a Mini with a Promise Thunderbolt RAID array. A maxed out Mini + Promise RAID = $2500, I think I'd rather have a stock Pro at about the same price and stick in three HDs into the empty bays.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Even thoubi have a maxed out 2010 13" air I,ve wanted an 11" so I ordered the $1199 model. It should be he Friday but I,m currently on vacation in Wildwood NJ so I won't be around to get it

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Haven't been able to get to a store yet but I'm having second thoughts. For two reasons: -Glossy. -I already have a working laptop and really want to upgrade the Mac Pro first. Will see if I survive the trip to the store or not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If, like The Doctor, you live in non-sequential time, you can buy your MacBook Air tomorrow second, so long as you make a note to buy a Mac Pro first at some later date... :)

Just trying to help out.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
FYI, Barefeats has a few benchmarks up on the new Airs.

http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_02.html

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They missed the obvious takeaway in their summary: their benchmarks are basically GPU tests, as the 2.3 GHz i7 crushes the 2.7 GHz i7 in every test. I did learn that Handbrake offloads to the video card; that's new to me.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Certainly anything that is GPU accelerated will perform better on the 15" MBP. However, the 2.7 GHz i7 in the 13" model is a dual core chip with 4MB L3 cache. The 2.3 GHz i7 available on the 15" is a quad core chip with 8MB L3 cache (the Air CPUs are also dual core chips).

Any app/benchmark that makes use of those two extra cores is going to perform better on the 2.3. Also, I don't believe the 2.7 has Intel's turbo boost, although I could be wrong about that, so if the app isn't pushing all cores the speed on the 2.3 will bump up to a possible maximum of 3.4 Ghz giving it an edge as well.

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The only differentiator I saw was the GPU (emphasis added). Is it implicit that that the 2.7GHz is a lower-cache 13" model compared to the 2.3 GHz?

[COLOR= rgb(204, 0, 0)]2011 MBP 2.3 Core i7[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(204, 0, 0)] = 2011 MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-Core i7 with 8G of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM and AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU with 1G DDR5 memory[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(204, 0, 0)]2011 MBP 2.7 Core i7[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(204, 0, 0)] = 2011 MacBook Pro 2.7GHz dual-Core i7 with 8G of 1333MHz DDR3 and Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU that "borrows" 384M of main memory[/COLOR]

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Assuming wikipedia is accurate...

The 2.7 is this chip:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-(4M-Cache-2_70-GHz)

(this does feature turbo boost as it turns out)

and the 2.3 is this chip:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52227/Intel-Core-i7-2820QM-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_30-GHz)

So they both have the same max turbo boost frequency, 3.4Ghz. The big differences seem be the cache, 8M vs 4M, and the cores, 4 cores/8 threads vs 2 cores/4 threads.

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the additional info. With that and other conversations elsewhere about the i7 chip, my impression is you really got to do some homework before buying an i7-system, since performance can vary greatly depending on which variant you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks