What's new

New 2-Disc Region 1 NTSC DVD of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) in the works! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thats great to hear Matt, let us know when you get them.Are you also expecting a review copy of my most anticipated horror dvd trilogy of terror special edition ? Sorry, but i couldnt resist , had to ask about that one too !

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I meant to say overly-processed transfer. But that ain't right either. Yeah, the color was so wrong. All that nice blue was gone.

That would be great. I'll stick with the one from the late 90s for now. It's actually quite good. I haven't seen the DiviMax version; just screen grabs. I do have the Criterion and DiviMax versions of Time Bandits and the difference there is stunning. DiviMax is way better. Criterion is only good for the Gilliam commentary at this point.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I was able to get a copy of this new TCM early and I must say it really seems like a new movie with this transfer. The term "like seeing it for the first time" is used way too often but it certainly fits right here. I'm not a die-hard fan of the film but I'm curious to see if some are unhappy with the (correct) transfer since it does look so radically different. Hell, this transfer makes the film looks as fresh and new as the remake.

The difference is certainly something groundbreaking, especially when viewed through a projector. The old DVDs look like a public domain release of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD compared to the Elite disc.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

First of all, I was kind of playing on words with regards to the "throwing dirt" reference and Hooper; of course he did not literally throw grain and muck at the print.....and when I say "thing," that is also a figure of speech of sorts; this is a legendary piece of horror cinema, and I think we all know that.

"And the grain was there because of the film stock used. Tobe himself told me that there was no conscious decision to make the film look "documentary-style", with the graininess, etc. He was trying to film the best movie he could. The heavy grain structure you've seen on prints, etc. were caused by a combination of the film stock used and the cheap 35mm blow-ups done by the distributor at the time."

Whatever it was, and I have heard the same argument, there was a problem getting this picture to DVD; I believe the Digital Bits has a piece on it.

"Tobe Hooper and Danny Pearl never consciously filmed TCM as a grainy, gritty "documentary-like" motion picture. It just came out that way... because of the low-budget nature of the filming/distribution. It's really a "myth" that has carried on through the years and it's just sorta "stuck"."

Probably so, but what we are all saying (most of us) is that the grainy, dirty structure of the film just feels right compared to being all cleaned up -- on THIS particular title -- even though as DVD enthusiasts we want to see things cleared up. ;)

"The new HD transfer was not created from 35mm materials. It was created from the original 16mm vault materials and, as such, does not have large/high amounts of (what I like to call) "swimming grain". Sure, it is grainier than the original transfer and, as such, I guess, remains truer to how people remember the film from 30+ years ago, but the grain isn't nearly as heavy as one of the 35mm blowup prints made and distributed theatrically in 1974"

Even still, I think a super-duper-clean version of TCM is going to look a bit skewed compared to how we are all used to viewing this.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Adam:

The film is still grainy- in fact, this new transfer will show MORE film grain than the previous ones. What was "cleaned up" was damage to the negative. I thought Don made all that very clear in his post myself...

Vincent

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

That's what I got from Don as well. Instead of "blow up" grain (whatever the techies call it) from prints, we are going to see Texas as it was shot, with it's original grain structure from 16MM negatives.

I really can't wait to see this. I remember picking up the Pioneer DVD to introduce this film to friends. No lie, my Astral Video copy looked better. To see this film as it was shot and intended to look, I repeat, I can't wait. The extras sound great as well.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. When my friend Brian finally saw "The Warriors" on DVD he thought it didn't look right. The old VHS from the 80's we had was VERY gritty, contrasty and washed out looking. We got used to it that way and it kinda fit the vibe. When the first DVD came out suddenly looking MUCH cleaner, clearer and more colorful he was shocked. He was like, "Dude, you can see they are wearing makeup! It don't look right!" The newer dvd, cheesy comic-book panels notwithstanding is even MORE colorful and detailed. It looks like a brand new film! In this case, my friend actually prefers the VHS look!!!!

;)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I waited as long as I could for an anamorphic release of TCM but could not wait anymore and bought the Pioneer 2003 release two years ago (Oct 2004) while dreading to do so. I'm sooooooooo thankful of this release. I'm all over this one. :D

Don May Jr, looking at the screencaps of this release You and Synapsefilms did a phenomenal job. I can hardly wait to get it. Thank You. ;)

LOL thx for that laugh, that's hilarious. :laugh:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Agreed on all counts about the quality. This has shot up to my most anticipated release, along with the Superman releases this fall. If anything, it looks like the TCM prequel got us a great TCM DVD, finally.

I just wish Paramount would have allowed Mr. May to do the same with their Friday the 13th boxset (if that rumor was indeed true).

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

I did indeed contact some of the folks working on the Paramount F13 releases and gladly offered my services. I really wanted to do those. They didn't even bother to return my call.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

That's a shame. I've given up on a great Friday box set. Just looking forward to the movies in HD now. I don't think we'll ever get them uncut.

Still very much looking forward to this TCM release, though.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Can't wiat for this. Haven't owned TCM on DVD because of the lackluster transfers on the previous releases. It'll be nice to retire my LD.

Don, with Paramount going re-release happy lately, have you thought about sending a feeler about working on new Friday discs?:)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

It looks like Paramount is more interested in throwing out previous discs from catalogue titles with NEW COVER ART!

As opposed to doing full-on revamps of previous editions. IMHO the Friday Boxset released by them is "special" enough for them at the moment. Perhaps when the eventual HD versions get released we'll get a chance at better transfers, not gonna hold my breath though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep, those grabs look fantastic! I wish I had the money to get it before Halloween. I'll have to watch the old one this year knowing that nice new one is out there. Nothing sucks more than that. I've been craving the first sequel for some insane reason. :D I paid a fiver for it some time ago and it sits unopened on my shelf.

I like the covers from before...the blade and the ground beef. But that new cover fits much much better. I'm hoping it's the "end all" in TCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks