What's new

Neverending Story Update (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I havn't got the disc yet, but will in a few hours. I have owned every version of the film since beta, and on the LD with it's fairly clear sound, it is very obvious that he is saying moonchild, he turns child in to two syllables( moon chi ild) when he screams. End of story. Take this from someone who has seen the film over 100 times in 17 years. It is my favorite movie, and once I read the book, I heard moonchild every time, it's there.
Derek

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well dip me in shit and call me stinky!
eek.gif

Apparently it IS MOONCHILD..at least it sure sounds like it is. I just rewatched that scene about 5 times and it sounds like that's what he screams.
Kinda makes sense too.
Well whaddya know.... :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

I will second the comment about the lack of "volume" in the audio. I had to turn my amp up 20% higher than normal to even get decent volume. Other than that, it's a great disc.
Chris
------------------
Christian A. Sonntag
"The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just tickled pink that they got this movie out on DVD since it's my wifes favorite movie and her birthday is the 11th. Needless to say it will be a fun movie night then.
------------------

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Can't any of you just watch the subtitling or CC to read the name? Is it written there?
Just wondering... (I never quite understood it either).
dave

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
oops... got posted twice... duplicate post to follow...
[Edited last by DavidS on September 05, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
hi...
They don't show what he yells out in the subtitles (or closed captioning). I think they try to obscure the audio on purpose too. I'd even bet the director had Barret Oliver say the name in an odd way to further obscure what he's saying.
I always thought that this was done to leave the name up to the viewer's imagination. But it's kind of ruined after:
1) reading the track listing for the soundtrack album, in either English or German. The title of the corresponding music for that scene is the name he calls out.
2) reading the book, in which Bastian's mother's name is mentioned.
So i'll have to agree... he says "Moonchild"...
David

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one that wondered what it was. I think its so hard to tell because its not a normal name that you would ever think of. Its funny how much emphasis the director puts on the name yet purposely tries to keep it a mystery. Subtle form of torture if you ask me
biggrin.gif

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks