What's new

Neverending Stor review! Short and sweet! (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in another forum, but here is the body of the text I posted. This is just FYI for those still worried about this wonderful looking discAtreyu's horse still gets pulled into the swamp...so rest easy.
The transfer on this disc is awesome. For a movie this old this is stunning work. Beautiful cinematography, great movie, and WIDESCREEN to boot!!!
Sound was okay...just Dolby 2.0. Nothing too flashy, but good nonetheless. Extras a very lacking, as this film just begs for a special edition. Guess they could only fit so much on a single layer so they could put the pan and scan shit on the other side.
Overall a very beautiful DVD, and a must buy for a great family film. Sorry I dont have another transfer to compare it to, as it has been about ten years since I have seen the film, was too caught up in the movie to really nitpick the transfer. Even though some grain and scratches were apparent, mainly on matte effect shots.
I would give the picture quality on this a 4 out of 5. Great to look at, but nothing so stunning as to drool over.
------------------
card11.jpg

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Did I miss something? There was a rumor about Warner censoring the horse drowning scene? Could you please explain. Thanks. What in the hell is with Warner lately? Not only were they considering releasing Neverending Story in Pan and Scan only, but they were going to self censor? Jeessshhhh!!!!
------------------
Michael's DVD's

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It had been more than ten years since I had seen the film since before I watched the DVD last night, so I dont remember much. The horse scene didnt seem censored to me...hopefully a Neverending Story fanatic can see the dsic and enlighten us all.
And pan and scan is on the disc. It is a flipper. OAR is on the other.
------------------
card11.jpg

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Cast and Crew, text screens describing the characters and effects, and a trailer....that is it.
Unless the fact that WB put a Widescreen version in there is an extra feature?
------------------
card11.jpg

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
This is excellent, excellent news. "The Neverending Story" is one of those films that I've been waiting for since I got my DVD player in '97, and now that it's finally here, I could not be more happy. I'll finally be able to see a proper version of one of my favorite films for the first time. I could not care less about a 5.1 remix, and the lack of extras doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the film. Since we finally know that the disc is in the proper widescreen aspect ratio, I'm ecstatic! I can't wait for next Tuesday.
On a related subject, how did this rumor of the removal of Artax (Atreyu's horse)'s death come about? The first I heard of it was a brief mention by another forum member who said he'd heard such a rumor. Has anyone heard it from anywhere else? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing Warner would do, anyway. Yeah, they've released new edits of films like "Superman" and "The Exorcist," but they've never gone back to a film and snuck in a snip or two for "politically correct" reasons like Disney tends to do.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please post pics of the back cover, or the inside cover, I would really like to see, it is killing me, This is my favorite movie, or does anyone know an online store that has any pics besides the front cover, and if any of you have that have it, can't post it, would you please send pics to my e-mail address at [email protected]. It would be most helpfull.
Derek

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Derek
Patience is the key! :)
I am so excited as well. I know my title gets shipped tomorrow from dvdempire.com!
[Edited last by Antonio_M on August 30, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Derek Duncan
The covers are up at dvdempire.com. :)
(dvdempire is flawless in processing, they shipped my NES today! OH MAN! Can't wait!)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
DVDEmpire also shipped my neverending story today! they simply are the best in the business. I used priority mail so i may get lucky and get this in saturdays mail.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
(dvdempire is flawless in processing, they shipped my NES today! OH MAN! Can't wait!)
Wow! Cool! Hey, now you can play Super Mario Bros. 3! While you're at it, I can highly recommend this new game called "Tetris", but be sure to get the 2-player version from Tengen! The one in the gold box! It's just like the coin-op version!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
At first, I was like "What the heck is this guy talking about?!?"
Then I got it.
laugh.gif

Silly wabbit! :)
P.S: That Superman pic cracks me up! So cool.
icon14.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks