What's new

"never Buy A Downward Firing Sub!" (1 Viewer)

Eric C D

Second Unit
I think the problem is inconsistent experiment protocols - there's too many variables in material weight and clothing construction. I suggest eliminating those to make for a repeatable experiment. And as long as the experiment is being designed from scratch, I suggest testing at the most sensitive end of the threshold, so that if movement is not observed it should be able to eliminate it as a phenomena from those wearing less sensitive outfits such as denim jeans. :)

My suggested experiment is: get your favorite SI swimsuit model to come over in a short dress made of thin silk (there - consistent sensitive material and clothing construction!). Have her stand near your subwoofer while you play your choice of bass passages (I think I'd opt for Barry White ;)) and see if the hem flaps.

Anyone want to volunteer to conduct the experiment? :D

enjoy,

P.S. Mark me down as one who's felt their pant leg vibrate.

P.P.S. Or maybe it was just me aquiver with joy at my new sub's performance.

EdwinK

Agent
If you read more carefully you see I was talking about lower bass, not some pink noise signal. In the 20Hz - 30Hz region the SPL at (almost) any location in the room has little to do with distance to the sub, and all with room nodes and such.
--

Yesterday evening my DTS copy arrived of 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow'. Talk about pant flapping!!! All these robots walking on for what seemed miles and miles, sometimes nearly bottoming out my PB2U...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Not trying to butt in on a very interesting topic...

But I love the scientific approach to Pant flapping :D

To funny!!! i just had the same experience

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
What clearly is needed is a PR (Pant Resonance) standard that is industry wide. That alone will clear up the issue of which sub best shakes your britches. This standard could help move PR technology forward, perhaps attaining the ultimate subwoofer goal of many, Total Pant Removal.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Wore a long sleeve shirt the other night when we were watching "The Attack of the Clones" and during the Senator's starship INTRO sub-sonic engine LFE effect's, my sleeves joined in the vibrating pant leg(s) (couch, chairs, wall, floors) sensation!!! :D

We all loved how the SVS turns our blockbuster DVD's into 4D!!! :eek:

FYI: -10 dBc below REF Level w/106 dBc FAST LFE SPL Peaks and sustained LFE effects.

Phil

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Edwin - Where did you get a DTS version of Sky Captain? Isn't it a Paramount? Maybe not. My dad bought it and I didn't watch.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Pink noise can be filtered[which why it called as such] to cover wider range equally from say 20-80hz which is include the narrow band you call lower bass.If distance has no barring on output why measurments are different say at 1m or 2ms? You can't write that off on nulls and mods entirelly.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
I've experienced the pant leg flapping too. It wasn't an accident, I wanted to see what it felt like. I put in the blue man group audio disc and went to the last track. A little bit after the 2 minute mark there is a really deep and long bass note. I turned my volume up until the RS meter read about 120 and my pant leg was waving like a flag in the wind.

My room is 12 x 14 x 8 and I sit about 2-3 feet from my sealed shiva. And yes I did feel a little bit sick after that much bass but it was fun.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
So as one just checking in on this forum from time to time... Where did the rubber hit the road? Is a floor faced sub as good as one that is not or what for home HT use? Anyone here care to summerize? Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes and yes.

Both need to be designed properly. I personally have a downfiring sub, for both film and music (one and the same :) ), and people are raving about it.

Cees

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
My SW900 is a down firing subwoofer and it is a very good performer in my opinion FWIW. I just finished watching LOTR FOTR again. It sounds so clean and powerful. It also is great on music. Everyone who has heard it has been very impressed. Even someone who has a sunfire True subwoofer said that he was very impressed. In the end the sub just has to be implemented correctly. If it is done the right way, there should be no problem.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Thanks and that is what I thought.. I have had both and now wound up with a floor firing one PB2+ and it is the best sub I have had to date. I tossed dual NHT subs for this thing and it is much better on HT and music.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said, I sit about 2-3 feet away from it in a small room. My SPL meter was moving from 115-120 I'm not sure what frequency was playing and whether or not that value needs to be corrected.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Isn't "Scared my dog!" a good enough euphamism for you people? Its worked fine for Stereophile for 20 years

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks