What's new

Network DVD (PAL) sale 35% off through Sunday (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Thought I'd start a new thread then bumping the older Network thread, so it would get more visiblility for those more interested in a sale.

http://www.networkdvd.net/

This worked out great for me since I revived an older thread just within the last few weeks after seeing plenty of titles of interest on their site. Luckly, I kept putting off my order.

Network's normal prices are very close to Amazon UK's prices in most cases. However, their shipping is generally higher which can make the difference sometimes. Usually, it works out to make several smaller orders then a large one since any order under 1.0 kilo is 8 lbs and any over is 40 lbs.

Just to give in idea of the prices differences (using my orders):

Order 1: (in British Pounds)

- Sir Lancelot 8.29
- Buccaneers 9.40
- Invisible Man 9.40
- Sir Francis Drake 9.40

Shipping 7.85

Total 44.34 = $71 US

Comparable through Amazon UK: $104 US

Order 2: (in British Pounds)

- Man of the World 19.36 - Persuaders 14.93
- Caesars 6.63

Shipping 7.85

Total 48.77 = $78 US

Comparable through Amazon UK: $115 US

Order 3: (in British Pounds)

- Champions 21.57

- Callan b/w 9.40

Shipping 7.85

Total 38.82 = $62 US

Comparable through Amazon UK: $102 US

Pretty good deal if you have been contemplating any of these titles.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Network also removes the VAT taxes for US purchasers, like Amazon UK (most retailers don't). They have some releases that are exclusive to their website.

Brad, if you like Callan, you may also enjoy the first two series of Special Branch. Also, Public Eye is a great, great show.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jason,

I did not know that about the VAT with Network (I've never ordered directly from Network before). That could make the savings a bit more since I did not include shipping in the Amazon UK pricing I provided (I usually find the the VAT and shipping are a wash with Amazon).

I've never seen Callan before but liked the Equalizer so I thought I would take a chance. Most of these are blind buys for me but I feel pretty good about each one. Protector's, William Tell, and the Callan color seasons are still in my wish list for furture purchases. I went for about as much as I could justify in this sale, but I'll look into Special Branch and Public Eye in the furture as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Thanks for the heads-up on that sale, Brad!

Network had just recently released, within the last month, some pretty obscuro British TV releases, which are exclusive to their website. One of them is THE CORRIDOR PEOPLE, which apparently fits in the realm of stylish 1960s fantasy/spy series like THE AVENGERS and ADAM ADAMANT LIVES (here's a DVD review of it, from Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix). This sale is the perfect opportunity for me to give it a look, as well as grab some b&w CALLAN (I already have the two R1 sets of the color episodes) and a few films not available in R1.

My order (in British Pounds):

THE CORRIDOR PEOPLE 6.08 (n/a @ Amazon.uk)

CALLAN - THE MONOCHROME YEARS 9.40 (17.93 @ Amazon.uk)

THE GHOST GOES WEST 3.87 (8.93 @ Amazon.uk )

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES 3.87 (7.99 @ Amazon.uk )

HOT ENOUGH FOR JUNE 4.42 (6.99 @ Amazon.uk )

Sub-Total: 27.64

World Zone Shipping to US: 7.85

Total: 35.49 = $56.60 US

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I found out about this weekend's sale when visiting Network DVD's website yesterday, and was surprised by the discounted prices. Can you pre-order forthcoming Network DVD releases (The Benny Hill Annual 1986 and 1988 are under £6 each, but aren't out until September)?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by WaveCrest I found out about this weekend's sale when visiting Network DVD's website yesterday, and was surprised by the discounted prices. Can you pre-order forthcoming Network DVD releases (The Benny Hill Annual 1986 and 1988 are under £6 each, but aren't out until September)?
Unfortunately not, I was hoping to get the Protectors as well, which comes out in a few weeks. However, while the price shows discounted there is no way to add it to the cart until it is released. There is also vebiage in the sale fine print that says no pre-orders.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by smithb Unfortunately not, I was hoping to get the Protectors as well, which comes out in a few weeks. However, while the price shows discounted there is no way to add it to the cart until it is released. There is also vebiage in the sale fine print that says no pre-orders.
I can't understand why they would show a discounted price and you can't pre-order the titles. It's like dangling a carrot in front of you and then taking it away. I might get The Corridor People, Baffled!, Death Line, and A Mind to Kill - Series 2. With A Mind to Kill - Series 2 I'm wondering if £16+ is a good price for 7 feature length episodes (with a total running time of over 11 hours).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by WaveCrest I can't understand why they would show a discounted price and you can't pre-order the titles. It's like dangling a carrot in front of you and then taking it away. I might get The Corridor People, Baffled!, Death Line, and A Mind to Kill - Series 2. With A Mind to Kill - Series 2 I'm wondering if £16+ is a good price for 7 feature length episodes (with a total running time of over 11 hours).
My guess is that it is easier to do an across the board discount and they probably figure new releases don't need to be on sale yet. Not sure, just a thought. I usually try to stick with $1 an episode for TV. However, it usually doesn't work out that way for more obscure titles and when the hours are less then a season. It just comes down to how badly you want it and how discounted it might ever become. That title is discounted on Amazon UK to 24 GBR. So 16 GBR does appear to be a big discount and it may not get any cheaper. Tough call.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by smithb I usually try to stick with $1 an episode for TV. However, it usually doesn't work out that way for more obscure titles and when the hours are less then a season. It just comes down to how badly you want it and how discounted it might ever become. That title is discounted on Amazon UK to 24 GBR. So 16 GBR does appear to be a big discount and it may not get any cheaper. Tough call.
The first series of A Mind to Kill did come down to around £6-£7 at one time on Network DVD, so I'm going to wait for the second series to come down in price before getting it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
Why is the shipping coming up at 40 pounds to the US?

Anything under 1.0 kilo is 8 GBR and anything over is 40 GBR. They seem to have just have two shipping rates. So if you order something like 15 or more titles it might work out to place them on one order. Otherwise, it is best to break up your order based on weight so you can fit them into the 8 GBR category. I ordered 9 titles and broke it across 3 orders. Mixing and matching helps to find the best groupings to minimize shipping costs. Check out my first post to see what I mean.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Sale is officially over. I guess I wasn't thinking about 12 pm Sunday UK time. Hopefully those interested got their orders in.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Anything under 1.0 kilo is 8 GBR and anything over is 40 GBR. They seem to have just have two shipping rates. So if you order something like 15 or more titles it might work out to place them on one order. Otherwise, it is best to break up your order based on weight so you can fit them into the 8 GBR category. I ordered 9 titles and broke it across 3 orders. Mixing and matching helps to find the best groupings to minimize shipping costs. Check out my first post to see what I mean.

Thanks for the help on the shipping. I broke up my order into two. I picked up Four Just Men, Sword of Freedom, Count of Monte Cristo and Fury. I love how this company will put out just about any ITC show, regardless of how obscure it might be. It's really a shame that we don't have any American companies willing to do the same with shows over here. Timeless has put out some rare stuff but only rare if you haven't been collecting for very long. All of those obscure Universal titles they put out have been in the hands of collectors for 20 years so they are only "rare" for newbies to the hobby. Some of these shows that Network puts out, no one has ever turned up in any form. I think I may have seen one episode of Four Just Men in over 30 years in the hobby. And I'm not even sure about that.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
Thanks for the help on the shipping. I broke up my order into two. I picked up Four Just Men, Sword of Freedom, Count of Monte Cristo and Fury. I love how this company will put out just about any ITC show, regardless of how obscure it might be. It's really a shame that we don't have any American companies willing to do the same with shows over here. Timeless has put out some rare stuff but only rare if you haven't been collecting for very long. All of those obscure Universal titles they put out have been in the hands of collectors for 20 years so they are only "rare" for newbies to the hobby. Some of these shows that Network puts out, no one has ever turned up in any form. I think I may have seen one episode of Four Just Men in over 30 years in the hobby. And I'm not even sure about that.

I have a few of those in my wish list. Just couldn't swing it this time. I've never purchased directly from Network before or monitored their site. Hopefully, this sale is a regular thing so I can pick up some more at a later date. They do take chances on some obscure titles with only one season. But to our advantage.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by smithb

I have a few of those in my wish list. Just couldn't swing it this time. I've never purchased directly from Network before or monitored their site. Hopefully, this sale is a regular thing so I can pick up some more at a later date. They do take chances on some obscure titles with only one season. But to our advantage.

I think they do do these sales every few weeks to months. I keep an eye on Network DVD's website for new titles added to the forthcoming releases section and any possible new sales.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far this year Network DVD haven't had a sale yet.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard

There was a sale on their Gerry Anderson shows in January...

I was thinking of a Network DVD general sale...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Network DVD have got a Bank Holiday sale on at the moment, with 40% off selected horror, sci-fi and adventure titles. It ends at midnight Tuesday 31st May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks