What's new

Netflix to delay renting new releases for 28 days after release (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Neflix has entered into an agreement with Universal and Fox to delay renting new release Blu-ray and DVDs for 28 days after they are released. Avatar will be one of the first films to be affected by this new policy.

I admit that I do not know the current state of Blu and DVD sales, are they so down that the studios think this will spark an increase in sales?

And as for Netflix, shame on you for taking the cash and screwing your customers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think this is already happening. I don't rent many new releases, but I know there was one recently where it wasn't available until several weeks after release. I think it was "The Box".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My daughter just recently got Netflix and told me she was unable to rent The Blindside until 28 days after its release.

AdamG2

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I knew Redbox had signed something like this, I didn't realize Netflix was doing something similar too. I guess brick and mortar is trying to make a comeback in the rental business. Might be too little too late.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I suspect it has less to do with B&M rental business than studios trying to increase sales of new releases.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

Neflix has entered into an agreement with Universal and Fox to delay renting new release Blu-ray and DVDs for 28 days after they are released. Avatar will be one of the first films to be affected by this new policy.

I admit that I do not know the current state of Blu and DVD sales, are they so down that the studios think this will spark an increase in sales?

And as for Netflix, shame on you for taking the cash and screwing your customers.
I'm not sure they are exactly screwing their customers considering, in exchange for waiting 28 days, they are getting LOTS of additional content for their instant view service.

Doug

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Andrew Pierce

Does this have anything to do with http://www.netflix.com/Movie/60027998 ?
What was that? The link brings up an "error" message now.

With 300+ movies in my queue, the new rule really doesn't affect me...rarely do I have the time to watch a movie as soon as it's released.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The link didn't work for me either, Andrew. And even though most people will tell you that "when you gotta explain 'em" that jokes don't work...I still give you a

TonyNew

Auditioning
This might come back to bite them. I usually try to rent a new release when they come out to see if I want to buy it that week. I know some people that would rather miss a deal then get bit by the blind buy bug.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now Blockbuster is advertising that they have certain movies before NetFlix and RedBox. This crap is just annoying. So, I'll go to the local rental place 3 blocks from work if I want one of them, because I will NOT be going to Blockbuster. I'm sure someone is making more money from this somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks