Netflix Strategies (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Seems the forums lineups have changed since I last paid attention, so I hope this is the appropriate place for this thread. Just wondering what other Netflix customers are thinking about the huge price increase recently announced. Netflix wants to separate their streaming service and have it stand on it's own as a viable product. My problem with this is that it represents a 50% price increase but with no increase in service. I would love to see subtitles, HD content and maybe even some BD Live type features, but none [as far as I can tell] are available with Netflix streaming. Some content says it's HD, but I've never been able to get HD with my 30MBPS Internet connection. I've weighed some options and still cannot identify a clear strategy. Wal-Mart is getting back into the game, but their a lacarte [sp] pricing seems woefully antiquated to me. Amazon has their "Prime" instant videos, but their content does not seem on par with Netflix. I've heard that Redbox wants to get into the game too, but I have yet to see anything from them. I know there are other options, but they are more on the premium HD level and will not be price competitive with either Netflix or Wal-Mart. So, is Netflix still the reigning king despite their shortcoming, or is there a better alternative out there that I am just unaware of.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's been some discussion here about the changes:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-it-s-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well..

Walmart owns VuDu. What ends up coming from that will be interesting. Because while I find Vudu a bad deal at $6 a whack (especially when most DVD titles are about $20), Walmart's policy of "buy a BD, get a free Vudu Rental" make it an attractive way to "try" movies out to see if they are anything I -might- want to buy.

Walmart might expand that.

I can't figure out what Netflix is doing. Their library of online is shrinking, and their rental library has wiped out most of the more obscure titles, which is what they used to pride themselves on.

Amazon isn't really a rental service and the "free with Prime" titles are largely crap and the quality is pretty darn poor.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never been a Netflix customer, but their pricing structure is not attractive to an occasional renter like me. I recently upgraded to a new Panny BDT210 BluRay player which supports numerous streaming services. Between signing up for a new account and getting additional credits for some BD purchases, I had $21 worth of credits for Vudu. I have tried one movie so far, and the quality is pretty good. I cannot envision renting from them too much at their current regular prices, though, as $6 for a high definition rental is too steep. We still have a local Blockbuster story nearby where I can rent a BD for $2. Walmart needs to get their Vudu pricing closer to that in order to get my regular business.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
That's a good point about price increase without increase in service. I get that studios are sticking it to Netflix by jacking up their licensing fees, and so Netflix has to pass that cost along. And I also understand their desire to get out of the DVD mailing game, reducing their cost, but since not every title is available to streaming, it's creating a lot of ill feelings. As a Netflix subscriber, I've been pretty happy with the service. But with the new rates, I'm seriously considering dropping the DVD portion and only keeping the streaming portion. And the only reason I'd keep that is because I have a Netflix enabled blu-ray player, and may want to stream something every once in a while. But I'll continue to look for less expensive alternatives.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I absolultly love Netflix. The price prior to the increase was so low, that even after the increase it's still a good deal. I just have Netflix and an OTA antenna.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
KevinGress said:
As a Netflix subscriber, I've been pretty happy with the service. But with the new rates, I'm seriously considering dropping the DVD portion and only keeping the streaming portion. And the only reason I'd keep that is because I have a Netflix enabled blu-ray player, and may want to stream something every once in a while. But I'll continue to look for less expensive alternatives.
I feel the same way, and an increase of a dollar or so would have been acceptable to me. Their current strategy seems purposefully designed to jettison customers. The streaming service [their apparent future] isn't ready to stand on it's own yet. maybe one day it will be and at that time I would be happy to pay a higher price for it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Jim Mcc said:
I absolultly love Netflix. The price prior to the increase was so low, that even after the increase it's still a good deal. I just have Netflix and an OTA antenna.
Well, we disagree about the pricing, but I have always loved Netflix too. That's what's so sad about this whole thing. Why change a winning strategy? Why abandon the very features that made them who they are? I too have just Netflix, an OTA antenna, and whatever I can get from the Internet.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
mattCR said:
Well..

Walmart owns VuDu. What ends up coming from that will be interesting.
Yes. I'm waiting for Wal-Mart to come up with some more realistic pricing. I figure they'll get it right eventually.

I can't figure out what Netflix is doing. Their library of online is shrinking, and their rental library has wiped out most of the more obscure titles, which is what they used to pride themselves on.
Looks to me like they are getting rid of customers they consider unprofitable. I'm no financial whiz, but I guess "fewer is better" may work in some situations.
Amazon isn't really a rental service and the "free with Prime" titles are largely crap and the quality is pretty darn poor.
Just figuring this out myself. Too bad.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
shouldnt this discussion be in the topic that was started by Sam, seems like the same thing just a different header.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
TonyD said:
shouldnt this discussion be in the topic that was started by Sam, seems like the same thing just a different header.
Cameron Yee said:
There's been some discussion here about the changes:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-it-s-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out
Sorry. I should have checked for similar discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks