What's new

Netflix Rental Disc On-going Thread (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Well, Warner is definitely a big player in this: both Dead Ringer and Lost Boys SE are rental version discs, but neither is missing any material that the retail versions have.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Yes, Warner seems to be the only studio (New Line is a branch of Warner, right?) offering Netflix these "rental" discs. Here's another one:

Justice League: Starcrossed

I'll end it here since it's most likely Warner discs will fall into this category...

danak

Second Unit
North and South: The Complete Collection is another special rental case. Amazon.com lists it with 5 discs and Netflix shows 8

Dana

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> 2. It makes more sense (and money) for Netflix since it forces you to rent six discs instead of three.

Howso? They don't charge by the disc. If they sent a disk with more content, the average customer would keep it longer, meaning he'd go thru FEWER disks for his fixed monthly fee. So your point seems backward.

I got Starsky & Hutch from them, & it had a bunch of extras on it. I haven't compared it to what's in stores, but I doubt it was different.

When I search on a title, if there's a separate bonus disk, the search returns that as well. Also, the details for disk one usually mention there's a bonus disk.

> In the "old days", if there was a title that was a 2-disc release, you got both discs at once

When did those days end? I got the original Around the World in 80 Days from them way back in June 2004, a 2-disc set, & they mailed the disks separately but treated it as one title. I actually had 5 disks out at once.

Maybe when the movie itself occupies 2 disks, which is rare, they send them both, but for bonuses they don't. That makes sense, because some people don't care about the bonuses, so that 2nd disk may not get used. Even I, lover of extras, don't always put the 2nd disk in my queue.

Anyway, I can't complain about them treating 2 disks as 2 disks, when my plan is based on number of disks I can have out.

danak

Second Unit
The three That's Entertainment titles (That's Entertainment, That's Entertainment 2, and That's Entertainment 3) are one disc each retail but 2 discs from Netflix (and they aren't renting the bonus disc). The description of the discs say the first disc is the first half of the program and the second disc is the second half of the program, but I suspect one disc is the widescreen side of the disc and the second disc is the full screen side.

Dana in MD

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Just got HBO's Carnivale and on Disc 1 there are only two episodes and it states: "Rental Disc - Not for Resale."

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It seems as if Netflix has extended their rental offer to Fox Home Video. The Pretender: Season 1 is spread over seven discs as compared to the four consumers get.

I think this is also Fox's first double-sided disc for a TV series. The Lone Gunmen is next, but it seems as if Netflix is renting these discs as double-sided (i.e., 3 discs total).
-

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I encountered my first rental disc from "Red Envelope Entertainment: A Netflix Company" for "Sherrybaby."

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I know, I know... I resurrected an ancient thread, but hey, why start another one.

Anyone know if this practice still goes on, or does Netflix (and Blockbuster) just rent the full version now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks