What's new

Netflix Question (1 Viewer)

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I recently joined Netflix again to catch up on recent releases.Their turnaround rate seems to be excellent this time( I send back disc,they get it a day later,day after that I receive new disc).Question is on the actual DVDs-I noticed all the DVDs are gray and "16 Blocks" actaully said on it "Rental Disc Only-Not For Resale".Are these DVDs being produced for Netlix only?They are not the actual retail versions with the movie related graphics on the disc.Are these versions more durable than the retail versions?And what is the point?Do they deter theft?Okay,maybe more than one question and i'm sure this has been discussed already.Just can't fine the actual thread.
Thanks.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think Warner and Anchor Bay are the only ones who supply their own discs to Netflix. In most cases (unless it is a flipper) they have all the same content. All the others are the same DVDs you get in the stores.

They do this just so people don't steal the DVDs and try to resell them.

Not a big deal. Same quality. Just a different graphic.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They are certainly not any more durable. In the last year I have had to send back 4 cracked discs and had almost every TV on DVD related disc skip badly when watching. They get so scratched and the TV on DVD is already compressed to the max so there is always problems.

You are getting good service right now because you are new. The new customers get primo service for a while. If you rent a lot, expect to start to get throttled down in a few months.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I received my first cracked disc about a month ago. I reported it and I had a replacement THE NEXT DAY.

I have been a member of Netflix for a few years now and every time I think of jumping ship, they do something that makes me stay. I get four DVDs per week and I average 16 per month, which is lower than when I was a new member -- but still a great deal for $25. At Blockbuster, 16 DVD rentals would be almost $64.

If you watch them and send them back every couple of days you can hit upwards of 16, maybe even 18. The most I ever watched in month month was 19 and that was during the summer when I first joined. I received them, watched them and sent them back sometimes the same day (late mail).

I'm generally quite satisfied with Netflix. It would be a perfect service if they expanded their rentals to include adult titles. My hope is that they will do this in the near future, which would surely demolish all competition, imo.

John*D

Second Unit
From what I had heard, NETFLIX has images of certain DVDs and burns them themselves...

If that's not true then the disc-art is changed to keep people from trying to offload them to a retailer/shop or whatever or replacing your screwed up copy with one of there's... I dunno.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I noticed a few times that I sent 2 or 3 discs back at once and the new release title did not show up as returned along with the others. Shady? Yes but not enough for me to jump ship.

As I said, I have been able to see a lot in a month so the service is worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks