1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Eastmancolor, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor Well-Known Member

Jim Harwood
    I've been having an issue in the past few days with Netflix. I've been watching the recent season of DEXTER in "SuperHD" but the picture quality has been all over the map.

Unlike Amazon and VUDU which stream in full HD when you launch a title, Netflix takes some time to "warm up." At least with my Roku 2, Netflix starts out in low-res and after about 20-30 seconds switches over to HD.

Well, these last few nights I've found that the image rarely looks like it gets to full 1080p. Picture quality may hold for a minute or two and then it sinks back to fuzzy, blurry low-res.

I go to Amazon, no problem. I go to VUDU, no problem. My Roku box is hard wired and I have a fast connection. I do a speedtest over wireless and I'm getting over 20mbps. I've re-booted the Roku, no difference. I've re-booted the internet box, no difference.

Anyone else having PQ issues with Netflix?

2. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    Same for me. I have been watching House of Cards on Netflix. Before it would start looking like 240p (yes worse than 480p) and then change to what looks like HD. I say "what looks like HD" because the TV says the signal is 1080p always for Netflix no matter how bad the picture looks.

Last night I watched another episode of House of Cards and most of the time it looked like 240p. I base this on the SD source we get on TCM HD and House of Cards looks like half that resolution.

My speed is 50mps on the PC.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    What quality setting do you guys have checked off on Netflix' website? I use Auto. Netflix automatically adjusts the image quality based on your internet speed at the time.

4. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

And even on a nice "average" 3.5 connection, my PS3 streamlines the stream up to a respectable HD 720 at off-peak hours.
    You're trying for SuperHD, which takes at least twice that much speed on the best equipment.

5. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    I can rarely get Netflix to stream it's highest resolution during daytime hours. If I try it in the middle of the night, say 3am, I have no problems. It has nothing to do with your internet speed, but rather the amount of traffic on the Netflix servers. Trying to get full HD stream during prime time is futile.

6. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    I watched a horror flick last night and the picture looked fine. I started to watch House of Cards and it looked terrible. Must be the content and not the signal?

7. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Premium
    Supporter

Jeff Brooks
    Up until this past week, I had been receiving a great 1080 picture from Netflix, streaming thorugh my Oppo 103. For the last several days, I have hardly been able to see anything even close to that. This afternoon, I am watching Continuum, supposedly available to stream in Super HD, and it is coming in at a top rate of about 384 SD.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I think demand for content must come into play, with lower demand titles coming through just fine, and higher demand programming struggling to make it past 480. My son has been watching Suits with no difficulty, while the picture frequently bounced between resolutions on Supernatural, for example.

9. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Well-Known Member

Scott B.
    Having the same problem as well, however for me, content doesn't seem to be the determining factor. Very thing wavers back and forth from great to terrible. I was thinking it was my connection or has something to do with the net neutrality being shot down.

10. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Well-Known Member

Jim
    Jim Mcc--- where on the Netflix site is this quality setting? I couldn't find it. I do agree though that picture quality varies on Netflix. Sometimes it is fairly amazing, close to blu ray quality, other times like looks like a bad vhs tape.

11. Jim Mcc

Jim
    On the Netflix website, click on "My Account" then "Playback Settings". I use the "Auto" setting.

12. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Well-Known Member

Jim
    Thanks. Looks like it defaulted to the auto setting.

13. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    Here's a good article I came across while looking for a solution to this problem:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/getting-hd-netflix/
    But really, I'm having so much trouble getting HD out of Netflix that I'm about ready to cancel my subscription altogether, because I'm not getting what I'm paying for.

14. Jim Mcc

Jim
    It could be your ISP.

15. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Every great now and then it'll give me an issue. I watch mainly classic TV (Quincy, M.E., Emergency!, Adam-12, Rockford Files, etc.) and usually don't have a problem. Every now and then it will look like a bad SD source for a minute or so and then clears right on up.

16. swoosherst

swoosherst Member

Jess
    On my smart tv it runs wifi and is slower so the picture quality is always okay, nothing good. Usually get VERY clear video on desktop though.

17. Jim Mcc

Jim
    Because the desktop is a teeny weeny screen. I think a lot of people are not streaming in 1080p. Not all devices do this.

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Quality has been TOTAL SHIT for House Of Cards s2

19. Jim Mcc

Jim
    OMG !! Is swearing allowed here?

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Dunno, I try to keep it to a minimum but it was deserved in this case.