What's new

NetFlix Feedback (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Even though I'm complaining about Netflix, I wouldn't go through all the trouble of going to Blockbuster. The way I figure it, 10-12 movies a month is a decent value for my $20 per month. Truth is, I probably wouldn't watch more than 3 DVDs from them per week anyway in between working and going out with the wife. It's just that I like to point out when I see something unjustly being done.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Anyone here use Nicheflix? I know this is a rental service for other regions but after signing up I realized that the majority of the titles I wanted weren't available yet. I'm wondering where they ship from and how fast they are.

As for Netflix, I simply don't get them. They shipped SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE on Tuesday from the Louisville post, which is 1/2 mile from my house. Here it is Saturday and it still hasn't arrived. Five of my last six rentals have been coming from San Jose, CA, which is slowing the rental rate down as well.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I used them for about six months. I got to see some great DVDs that haven't even seen theatrical release here ("The Descent"), but I got to a point that the majority of titles in my queue weren't even available (mostly UK and Asian horror titles). I used the "Ala Carte" service a few times. However, the selection of new movies added seemed to concentrate on HK action flicks, not the R1 unreleased classics/horror/sci-fi that originally hooked me.

Eric

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks Eric, that's what I'm worried about. My top 20 wanted titles over there are all "Not Available" right now, which means they just shipped me three titles but I could have gotten all of these from Netflix or Blockbuster.

To add to the Netflix thing..... Here's something that would make their service really nice and end the "rent too much" thing.

I just signed up at www.ehit.com which is four out at a time for $14. This place deals with Hong Kong, Japanese and Chinese films mainly. The great catch is....

When you receive your four movies, the day you mail them you go to your queue and hit a button that let's them know you've put the four titles in the mail. They then ship your next four titles right then and there. That will cut down on the shipping problems, which eat away several days of the month. So, as soon as you watch one they send your next title even before they've received the other one back.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Netflix appears to be strictly limiting their rentals to 3 disc/week, regardless of their bs marketing talk. My turnarounds have been slowly creeping up, and I am now up to 1 week for shipping out new movies after I mail them in.

I understand that they need to do this. 12 movies/month is $9/month, just for postage. I think that they should just flat out state that they will limit you to a maximum number/month.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They do not pay the full postage ($.39 each way).

Their mail is pre-sorted and of a sufficient volume to get a major discount. I wouldn't be surprised if they pay about half of the normal postage.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Actually, they use first class mail. The cheapest cost for mailing bulk first class (less than 1 ounce) is $0.29. I believe that a dvd and packaging is more than 1 ounce, so they probably pay $0.527 each way. The post office cannot negotiate some super secret discount price which is not offered to anyone else.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
"I understand that they need to do this. 12 movies/month is $9/month, just for postage. I think that they should just flat out state that they will limit you to a maximum number/month."

I don't see or hear about Netflix giving people credit or lowing their monthly charge if they rent only a few movies a month. Even though they are on a 3 out at a time plan.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The thing about Netflix, they are a business, trying to make money.

When the cost of monthly membership covers both the cost of rental AND the postage (and from what I've read, they pay the full 39 cents per mailing, each way), they have to protect that.

I am on the 5 at a time plan. So, if I wanted to, I could get around 10 DVDs a week. That would amount to 40 to 50 a month. My monthly fee would barely cover the cost of postage.

On top of that, they have employees, the warehouse locations, cost of DVDs, etc. How do people expect them to make any money?

So, I can understand this practice.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I might have some sympathy for Netflix if rapid rentals were rampant by most of their members. However, I don't since this is a practice used only by a small percentage of their members.

(Edited to include)

Moreover, you infer that Netflix is suppose to make a guaranteed profit off of every membership account. Ideally that would be nice for them but that's not the way business works. In most any line of business companies lose money on some customers as they make more from others. Netflix is no different and they should not be using underhanded tactics to undermine their customers in order to achieve profits.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've just cancelled Netflix. Not due to any problems with them -- I just wanted to save some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks