1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix and WBHE agree to 28 day rental window

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Hanson, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/netflix/netflix-agrees-28-day-window-new-warner-dvds-18013

My friend is a bit pissed about this, and his wife is livid. Anyone else using Netflix affected by this decision?

The irony is that the original "rental window" was the time the studios gave the rental chains exclusive access to movies before they went on sale to the general public. Now the situation is reversed.

2. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Well-Known Member

There are so many titles in my queue that unless it's a must see that gets pushed to the #1 slot....the "new releases" don't get to the top for months!

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    I saw this earlier today, and at first I was pretty ticked too. However, if it really gets me access to more streaming content I'll consider it a fair trade. (The article I read said that the deal with WHV is that they don't get the disks, but they'll be allowed to offer more streaming content.) If I lose early access and don't get streaming content, then I would look to a Netfix competator.

4. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Well-Known Member

Bob
    Does this have something to do with the "Available until 01/01/10" that I was getting late in the year on my Netflix queue? That seems to have disappeared now that the year has rolled over.

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    Initially I thought it kind of sucked but as I read more about it and looked at my que I realized that it won't affect me negatively in any way.

First, Netflix is getting reduced prices on discs as part of the deal. This may result in better availability of some BD titles. Also, we should see more streaming content become available which is a big plus for me.

If it means more streaming content, I would be happy to see similar deals with other studios.

-Keith

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Since there's already a thread in the Hi-Def Software area focusing on the Blu-ray issues, I'm moving this one from After Hours to SD DVD.

7. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    I wonder if Blockbuster is going to take this development and turn it into a new marketing campaign or if they too will sign an similar deal. Like the Fox/TWC carraige fee issue, I wonder if this will compel the other studios to start making agreements like this one. At this point, any studio ad campaign for new releases is a de facto ad campaign for Blockbuster. If they can give Blockbuster some sort of inducement (and streaming content isn't important to BB like it is to Netflix), the idea of an across the board rental window will be sooner than later.

My question is, if there is an across the board rental window, won't that increase piracy? Not the camcorder crap that hurts the eyes, but digitally sourced copies with surround sound and HD resolutions?

The other interesting part of the article is this:

Sounds very short-sighted and misguided to me. It takes heaven and earth to get me into the movies -- if they shorten the release window, there's even less enticement for me to go to the theater.

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Well-Known Member

Did it say available until or on? If it said "on" it may have been referring to a title in your queue that was going to be available for streaming on that date. (It would appear in a column between the title and just to the left of the "star rating" for the movie; the top of the column is labeled "instant".)