What's new

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Still waiting for DvdSoon to ship this. Any early comments? Pretty box?

I have a feeling I done right in selling my old set when this was announced.

Best television show ever.

ShaunS

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You'd probably get better responses in the Advanced Anime Discussion (which is not at all really "advanced", don't let it scare you). :D

I sold my Eva boxset in prep for the new release. We should have the first volume enroute from Rightstuf.

James D

Second Unit
They are releasing Platinum Editions of the entire series over seven discs. Volume 2 has a scheduled release date of September 21.:)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
ok a friend of mine has been telling me to watch this series. Should I start with these new Platinum Editions or are there others to watch before ? Does this series have an ongoing arc where it is essential to watch them in order ?

Thanks for the help in advance.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Simon,

There are 25 or 26 episodes and a 2 hour film as well. Each episode continues from the previous one with the story arc properly ending with the film. Watching them out of order would make no sense. Hell, some people argue it makes no sense watching it in order. But you can ignore those people.

If you're going to buy the series, get the Platinum version. The video and audio are remastered with 5.1 sound and commentaries and extras.

As far as the show, it begins as what seems like a straight ahead "giant robot" type action show but ends up dealing with lots of deeper issues such as religion and relationships. I really wish I could watch it again for the first time as it had an effect on me nothing else has even come close to. It also benefits from multiple viewings.

ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
The movie is a fantastic ending to the series, in my opinion. To make a long story short, the final two episodes of the television series weren't all they could have been to many fans of the show. So the director created the film. Whether or not it's the "proper" ending is up for argument. Some prefer the series ending, others feel the series is an alternative ending, still others see the film as a companion to the series ending.

Personally I stop watching the series at episode episode 24 and switch to the movie, but that's just me.

The film is also quite a bit darker and for more mature viewers only.

Keep in mind, even though this series is animated, it ain't Disney we're talking about here. People die, have sex, drink booze, and reveal all sorts of personality flaws. Keep in mind the basic premise: that of forcing children to pilot huge robots and battle creepy "aliens" to the death.

What more can you ask for? ;)

ShaunS

Addition: The video/audio quality of the film dvd is great. It's also got perhaps the most incredible menus I've yet to find on a dvd. I do hope to see it re-released at some point to coincide with the Platinum releases, but I believe another company owns the rights. So I'm not holding my breath.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Correct!!!
All I want from 'my' Anime is; Great art, great story, great sex, & great violence.
Anything else, is just icing on the cake!

Going to DVD Basen, too look for a review of the DVD.
Thanks!

Update: Is it P&S or Full Frame?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I was thinking about getting this as I never bought the other editions for some reason. I have seen the entire series, though, and really enjoy it.

The back cover says this new Platinum Edition is not only restored, but also "revised." Does that mean things have been changed or what? I know there were "director's cuts" of the final 6 episodes, and that those DVDs contain both those and the original versions. Is the Platinum Edition a similar situation?

Arnold Y

Grip
Evangelion Platinum is essentialy the US release of Evangelion Renewal that was released in Japan last year.

7 Volumes, all 26 episodes (plus the director's cut episodes that were released earlier this year) will be a part of Evangelion Platinum. The reason that ADV is not calling this release "Renewal" is because they do not have the rights to the 2 Evangelion Movies (Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion) that were given the "renewal" treatment. Manga Entertainment currently holds the rights to the normal versions of those 2 movies, however it is unclear at the momment if they have acquired the rights to the renewal versions of those movies as well.

Last I heard, Manga Entertainment was going through some tough financial times.

Those quirks aside, if you have held out on purchasing Evangelion, this is the time to make the dive. Though I have an odd feeling that ADV may somehow milk out another release of Evangelion down the road. But that's just my opinion.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Ok, here's how it goes, as I recall.

You have Evangelion: The Series. 26 episodes.

Then, you have Evangelion: Death and Rebirth; a movie. The first part of the movie is basically a summary of the series; the second half is the first half of the next movie. More or less.

Then, you have Evangelion: End of Evangelion, which is, depending on who you ask, what the ending of the TV series was going to be, had they not ran out of money, (or the director not suffered a nervous breakdown) OR a big 'fuck you' from the director to fans who didn't like the original ending (said ending being exactly what the director wanted) OR simply an alternate ending; the original ending has something happening due to a character's choice; the movie has the same character making the other choice ('no' instead of 'yes.') OR a version of what's happening elsewhere DURING the original ending.

THEN, you have the 'Director's Cuts' of the last episodes 21-24 (leaving the final two untouched) of the series.

Which leads us to the Evangelion Platinum release, which is the series, remastered to improve the video quality and the sound quality (eva was known for it's poor video quality and jitteryness) and includes the Director's Cuts. Don't know off hand if it also includes the original versions of those four episodes.

So, the order of watching should the be series, followed by End of Evangelion.

The series doesn't contain arcs; the series *is* an arc. Every episode leads directly into the next one.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
DaveGTP,
Everytime I see those screenshots I get more and more excited for this to arrives. Reassures me that I did the right thing in selling my original set. Now if only dvdsoon would ship it...

Shayne,
Bravo. Well done. Shall we close shop on this thread now? :D

One other thing, I am somewhat dissapointed in the commentary choices used for Platinum. If I'm not mistaken, its the same participants in the commentaries for the films? Strikes me as a waste of time to listen to commentaries by the english voice dub actors. It's perhaps the only thing I can think of worse than actually listening to the dub itself.

ShaunS

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So episodes 21-24 are the only ones with alternate versions (except, of course, the last 2 episodes being edited into the first movie)?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Aye, only those four episodes are changed, I believe.

Haven't seen them myself, but I may very well manage to talk myself into getting Platinum.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Any info on the release schedule for discs 2-7? Or at least when the next disc (0:2) is supposed to street?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks