What's new

Needing some "sound" advice for SQ Receiver (1 Viewer)

Johnb71

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I'm mulling over what I already know is good vs what has come out on the market that I don't know. I used to be in custom home theater sales, so I've demoed everything from Mcintosh, Arcon, Carver, to "systems in a box" Right now I'm looking at finding an old Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX, or Yamaha Z1, or something along those lines. This is going to be just for listening, so AV switching doesn't really matter. That being said, if there's something sub $500 that sounds good and has hdmi switching and video up-conversion, that would be nice too... I'm really only looking for good clean sound.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had an Elite VSX-59 a few years ago. What a beast!

In all reality, it tough to hear a real noticable difference in receivers in about the same price range and "category". By that I mean consumer level vs. boutique brands like Arcam, NAD, Rotel, etc. which I really don't have much experience with.

I have owned 20-25 different receivers over the last few years (I think I have 4 on hand right now?). To me, the biggest difference between them is how easy they are to setup and live with. I'm a tweaker so H/K is out. No manual adjustments to the EZSet EQ.
Those with Audyssey and Yamaha are O.K. with at least some manual EQ setting. But Pioneer wins with 6 MCACC presets and a ton of audio adjustments.

As for a "clean" sound, the one that pop's into my mind first is also Pioneer. They've never been called a "musical" receiver (whatever that means) but I've always thought they were crystal clear, especially those that are Air Studio certified. But again, if someone came along and said I was nuts for thinking I could hear a difference I wouldn't/couldn't argue with them. But look for a good SC-05/07/25. The SC-27 and newer are tough to find in good shape for $500. I'm using an Elite VSX-23 in my family room and see no reason to replace it.

Onkyo/Integra were the price/feature leaders but their hdmi boards have a high failure rate. Denons of that era were a nightmare for me to setup and operate so I've never really considered them for long term use. Yamaha is the one consumer level brand that I haven't owned yet but I rarely hear a bad thing about them.

One old-timer that I'd like to mention is the Adcom GFR750HD (the HD added hdmi video up-conversion). It only has two hdmi inputs but they worked very well (un-like teh H/K 745 I had) and that 145 wpc amp and the other high quality audio circuitry made for an excellent sounding receiver. But it was a little more difficult to live with simply because it was their first (and only?) attemp at HDMI and the remote was somewhat old-school.But the core audio performance rivalled, and maybe surpassed, the best that H/K has ever offered. Which was quite a lot with the 7200/67300/745 and 7550HD. They pop up every once in a while, usually for well over $500 but +/- $400 is more like their true value. I think I should have kept mine. An Adcom 750HD and OPPO BR player would be a tough pair to beat in SQ.

If you stretch the budget to $600 then look for a Pioneer 1124. It has the Sabre ESS DAC's in it. Should sound wonderfull if it's anywhere near the OPPO 83se/95/105.

If you can do with hdmi then an H/K 7200 and Oppo 83se might just be the best sounding electronics I've had so far.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a DTR 7.8 that I bought under your budget. The .9 series aren't down that far(not even the 5.9. As .8 to .9, essentially is more HDMI).Denon 4 series(4810 specifically) is plentiful out there. Under $500 is the tough part.2007 era AVR is where nobody had many HDMI devices, but lossless audio arrived(HDMI 1.3).2008 is when prior year(mid to high end) 2-3 input AVR blossomed to 4-6 input AVR. Hence why AVR from that 1 year, specifically, are sold so much more often.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A sleeper in the vintage group might be the Pioneer Elite VSX-84tx. 4 HDMI 1.2 inputs (let the BR player do the decoding, Air Studio, i-Link for your compatible DVD-A/SACD player (Elite 59 or 79?), 140 wpc (I know, who cares) nice remote, video conversion, RS-232c, 3 zones, Advanced MCACC, phono input and iPod input. $300?

i-Link is fantastic!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Issue with, current, BD players decoding lossless.Since the Sunset...many only decode 2.0 dowmix. They have to bitstream for MCH.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was thinking of something like an Elite BDP-23FD. The BDP-05 would be a good choice too except it's real slow to load.

But in hind-sight, there are better choices then the 84.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, bringing up the 84 dredges up the Onkyo 804/874/904.Far more user friendly than the Elite.I still wouldn't buy those over a 805/875/905.

Johnb71

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank you all for your insight. These are the replies I was hoping for. Now my search has broadened. Thank you all very very much. I was hoping for these types of replies, and not the typical "use Google," or "use the search function." What a community! Thanks all :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Lets not forget Marantz. I just sold an SR8002 a few days ago for $350. Hated the remote but one from my 7005 worked just fine except for the initial setup. Unfortunately the flagship for the time, the SR9600, is holding it's value very well @ $800-$900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks