1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Needing opinion on a new receiver...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bosawx17, Oct 7, 2009.

1. bosawx17

bosawx17 Member

Alright, fellas...I just bought a new house and new system. I need some recommendations on a new receiver. It is going in a basement theater room so it will be for 75% movies & 25% TV watching (sporting events).

All the speakers are JBL Studio-L Series...

Fronts - L890's
    Center - LC2
    Surrounds & Surround Backs - L820's
    Subwoofer - L8400P

I am possibly doing 2 subs as well. My budget is around $1,500.

Thanks, guys.

2. bosawx17

bosawx17 Member

I have always been a Denon fan. I went into my local Magnolia and they demo'd all of there "Big Boy" selection.

Denon AVR-4310 & AVR-3310

Yamaha RX-V3900 & RX-V2065

Pio Elite SC-27 & SC-25

Onkyo TX-NR807

I listened to all of them on Def. Techs. which is what I have in another room and I liked the Elite's the best. Denon was last out of the 4. The Mag guy said they also have access to the Onkyo TX-NR1007 & TX-NR3007.

Does anyone else have these speakers that can give me some guidance?

Thanks.

3. ShanonS

ShanonS Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a good selection there. Personally, I prefer Onkyo and Denon. It's really not a fair comparison without engaging the various processing and room correction available on each receiver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I kinda doubt that the Magnolia guys took the time to go through the process of properly setting them up, if they even know how.