What's new

Need updated advice on current technologies (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not the best to answer this but I'll try anyway. First, do you know the name and model number of the subwoofer and the amplitier? The rca connector (either A or B, your choice) would be hooked up to the receivers Subwoofer Out and the corresponding speaker output (again, A or B) would go to the passive subwoofer. I'm not sure why there are three wires in the cable coming from the passive sub.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
The amplifier is a Dynaco ST-150 which in its time (late 70s) was considered mid to upper end equipment). The company went out of business long ago but their equipment had a very high opinion, and performed very well. To the best of my ability to find out, the subwoofer is a Sensonic 10" passive model # SO-SP800SW. The speakers in the ceiling (5 of them) are Sensonic 6 1/2" woofer and 1/2" tweeter model # MS626. But this amp is as good as any alternative for my purposes. No, I've never heard of them either. Someone who works for the builder suggested the subwoofer jack on the receiver connects to the amplifier. And of course the red and black speaker wires go to the amp. Problem with that is there is no way for the amp to accept a connection. The amp has RCA plugs, one for each channel, A or B. The cable from the subwoofer jack on the receiver will not fit into these RCA inputs. Also suggested was to connect RCA OUT of receiver to RCA IN on amp. But I don't understand what RCA OUT on the receiver means. Regaarding your comment on the last post, to connect the RCA to the receivers subwoofer out, they are different types of plugs, right? Or am I mistaken? I am losing my objectivity about this issue, so if what I just wrote doesn't make sense, it wouldn't surprise me. Again, my thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had trouble finding a picture of the back of the ST-150 but it looks like the connection is different (smaller) than those found on modern equipment. Might be all you need is an adapter or a cable with different ends on it but I can't recommend you using an older amp with a newer receiver as that would be way past my level of knowledge. The RCA OUT on the receiver is the subwoofer jack and it's a standard RCA style connection. Two ways of saying the same thing. The Subwoofer Out is connected to the amps Subwoofer In. They are the same type of plugs (standard rca) but in the case of your older Dynaco amp, they are apparently not the same. You can use just about any amp to power a passive subwoofer if they have the same rca connectors. And old stereo receiver or even the Main receiver can power a passive subwoofer along with the other speakers although we don't recommend doing it that way. Sorry I wasn't much help this time but I just don't have much knowledge of equipment that's that old ;) .

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Well, I just bought another new receiver in addition to the Onkyo TX-NR708, which I had to return due to hardware defect, and the replacement should be here in a day or two. The other receiver is a Sony STR-DN1010 for the living room. So, this frees up two receivers that I haven't decided what to do with. One being an 11 year old Sony STR-DB840 which I have never had any problem with, and a 4 year old Yamaha HTR6030 receiver, which I have never liked. But from what you are saying, I could use one or the other to power the passive subwoofer, right? I ask for your patience as I am now suffering from severe brain block over this and all the other issues I've gone through for the past month. :confused:

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Gene: I was able to find a picture of the back of the Dynaco ST150: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/148681-van-alstine-mosfet-150-modified-dynaco-st-150-power-amp.html. The Channel A and B inputs are at the bottom of the unit, near the center. So, aside from the speaker connections, those are the only other connectors of any kind on the amp. I was looking at some of the posts about this amp, and as I said, it was highly rated, and there are people actively looking for them. Amazing. I tried plugging in a current RCA connector cable, and it fits. Even more amazing. Well take a look if you will and give me your response.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
I tried that link and even though it is an active link, I get a page not found error. I did a Google search and found it the 6th major link down the first page which starts with: Dynaco ST-150 mods - diyAudio, and is the link bolded below: Dynaco ST-150 mods - diyAudio www.diyaudio.com › Forums › Amplifiers › Solid StateCached - Similar You +1'd this publicly. Undo 5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Mar 9, 2009 ... order. in the early 1970s while in College, I built a Dynaco ST150-from a kit, partially just to do it, and partially because I needed an amplifier. ... Driver for Dynaco ST-150‎ - Nov 16, 2010 Alstine Mosfet 150 Modified Dynaco ST 150 Power Amp‎ - Aug 7, 2009 Dynaco 120, can you tell me some about the "sonic" qualities ...‎ - Oct 16, 2004 You can zoom in on the pictures too, though this particular amp has been modified somehow from the original.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I didn't click on the "more responses" link. Glad you did! If a normal rca connector fits then give it a try. You can use either the right or left channel. Make sure all components are turned off when you make the connections. In fact, I'd leave the amp un-plugged until all connections have been made. And make sure the volume control on the receiver (and/or subwoofer/lfe trim level) is turned down before you turn the amp on. Then, slowly turn up the volume. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Good to hear from you. BTW, there are several Dynaco products for sale on eBay and elsewhere and one listing is for this exact amp, the ST-150. It has a Buy It Now Price of $175.00. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Both new receivers came today and I spent some time connecting and setting up the Onkyo but I'm not finished. The Sony I just took out of the box to get a look at it and its pretty nice too. Yeah, I guess I will try the Dynaco amp to power the subwoofer and see what happens. Certainly will let you know. I have never heard this subwoofer yet so my curiosity is up.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Thought I would post an update. I got the Dynaco amp out of my closet and I remembered that the bulbs that light the meters had to be replaced. So, I figured, what the hell, I will replace the bulbs first because aside from walking over to the amp and checking the power switch, thats the only way to tell its on. Plus it just looks cool.:cool: I remembered that replacing the bulbs was not a small issue and haven't done it in about 30+ years. You have to take apart the amp down to its bones in order to get to them. I'm still waiting for the bulbs to get here, then I'll replace them, reassemble the amp and give it a shot. So I went on eBay and found them (along with alot of other Dynaco related products) for $1.99, Thats alot for a little #53, 14.4V lamp but I figured where else am I going to find them. Radio Shack didn't have them, and I am finding they don't have alot of things lately, but they will sell you all the 4G phones and plans you want. Anyway, there was a link to the side of the page where I found the bulbs that said #53 bulbs, .31 cents apiece. So I bought 12 of them; the amp takes 4 so I'll have some for when they burn out. When I said earlier that Dynaco equipment was still in high demand, there was a guy selling just the Owner's Manual for the ST150 for $25. Damn.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are 5-6 Dynaco items for sale on Craigslist in the S.F. Bay Area ranging in price from $100 to $900 for an amp, Pre-Amp and FM tuner. I thought you would also like to know, there is a pair of Dynaco speakers in excellent condition for $200. Seems like they made everything you needed for a nice sounding system.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Thanks for the Dynaco info. You are not going to believe this. After I sent back the Onkyo for defective hardware, I now have to send back the brand new Sony STR-DN1010 receiver because the auto calibration system won't work. So I called the company it was shipped to me from a company called OneCall, who do alot of business on Amazon and eBay. I bought it on eBay from a seller named sandfair for $265. The guy at OneCall said they have no idea who this guy is, just that the receiver was purchased on Buy.com. When I opened the box, saw the invoice etc. I thought how strange this all was, etc. So, this seller, sandfair, whose full name is Sandlee Fairbanks, waited for someone (me) to purchase it on eBay for $265, then placed the order for it on Buy.com for $229, and the order was fulfilled by OneCall at that same price, Of course I was ticked off, but he really didn't do anything unethical so there is no point in reporting it to eBay. So, BOTH RECEIVERS I BOUGHT HAD TO BE RETURNED. What are the chances of that? Still waiting for my bulbs for the Dynaco. :confused:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
OneCall.com is very reputable. And I suppose Sandlee Fairbanks didn't do anything wrong either but what a lineup. OneCall.com > Buy.com > Sandlee Fairbanks > ebay > Richard Averell > OnCall.com :eek: You should be thankfull OneCall even answered the phone. All I can say is the best of luck with all that. We usually recommend only buying components from authorized dealers (but you may have one or two of them in there someplace) to protect the warranty but truth be told, I've bought new items from ebay/amazon resellers and so far I've been lucky. Everything has worked out pretty well. I also buy quite a bit from craigslist and Audiogon and again I've been pretty lucky. You hear horror stories about CL but so far I've only met real decent people just looking to get rid of some no longer needed equipment. My latest purchase was a Pioneer Elite 35-SC for $649 (+ tax) from BestBuys Magnolia section. It's last years display model but looks good as new and retailed for $1800. Now I've got to sell something else. Are we having fun yet :confused: . Two receivers gone belly-up is pretty unusual. Hopefully things will get better from here on out.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
I have it all straightened out with OneCall; they were very good about it. They shipped out another new receiver same day I spoke to them (Wednesday) and they are in Spokane, WA so I should have it in a couple of days. When I get it, hook it up, make sure its working OK, I will send the first one back and they will refund me for it. The problem with the Sony receiver was I couldn't get the speaker Auto Calibration Process to work. I followed every step in the manual Sunday night, did it a few times, and couldn't get the GUI interface to appear on my TV screen. So I thought maybe I could do it using the display on the receiver itself but it doesn't work that way. (You can with Onkyo). So I called Sony Support Monday night, oh man, what a joke. It was pitiful!! All this girl did was wait for me to tell her a part of the problem, put me on hold, then after checking the manual got back on the phone with me asking the most brutal questions possible, and ones I already answered when I explained it to her. Then she said I need to ship it back and get it serviced. Well, crap on that! I called OneCall the next day, unfortunately, he said the same thing. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! After buying a Logitech Harmony 700 for the Onkyo system, which works very nicely, now I need one for the living room system because there are 5 remotes there and its just crazy. Any suggestions on where I can get one at the right price? I really prefer that it be new though. And in a previous post I mentioned by model the speakers that make up the living room speaker system. All Sensonic speakers, but even with the new Sony receiver, I am not happy with the sound. Maybe you could instruct me on going about setting them up if I'm not happy with them after running the Auto Calibration process. :banana: BTW, do you work in this business? Best Regards

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To be honest, I forgot what room the Sensonic speakers are in and what receiver you plan on hooking them up to, and I'm too lazy to re-read the thread and find out :blush: but in any event, if you're not happy with the sound quality it's either the automatic setup eq (they don't work well for everyone) or the quality of the speakers. You could try and set the speakers up yourself by double-checking the settings the auto program came up with, Speaker size, Crossover setting, etc, and trying to set the eq yourself (if the Sony allows you to. The Onkyo will). Setting equilizers can be tricky and usually things sound even worse at first. But keep trying. Can't be too much worse than what you already had. I run the Pioneer's MCACC and then make any changes to the speaker settings that I feel are needed and tweak the eq to my liking. The thing I like about Pioneer is the 6 MCACC presets. You can run the MCACC, then copy it to another preset and change whatever you want. If you don't like the results you can copy it again and keep trying till you get it right. You can also setup one preset for 5.1, one for late night viewing, one for critical Stereo listening, etc Then, just a push of a button on the remote to change from one preset to another. Brilliant! And no, I'm not in the business. I'm just a single guy with way too much time on his hands :crazy: and apparently not as much money as I thought I had :eek: . Gotta sell some more stuff to support my habit! I like to buy/sell stuff on the net so I can say first-hand what I think is good and what's not good about it. I usually lose a little money here and there but sometimes make a buck or two. I also like helping people :chatter:, if I can. It looks like I've decided to stick with Pioneer Elite for my two systems, mostly for ease of use, 6 MCACC presets and basic continuity between the two systems. It just makes things easier to have all things from the same brand. I still have a foundness for all things marantz and H/K though. As for buying a Harmany, I like to use one or two of the shopping services like PriceGrabber.com and Shopping.com to help me find the best prices. But stick to a well Known etailer or big-box-store when buying. Just to be safe.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
The Sensonic speakers are in the living room in the ceiling, and the passive subwoofer is in the opposite wall. It is also a Sensonic. I am going to use the Sony STR-DN1010 receiver, which will allow me to adjust the eq to my liking. I've been doing t his a long time too and I feel confident that the speakers are capable of sounding better. Since I first posted this thread, man have I learned alot, much of it the hard way. I feel ready to graduate to other threads, so can you tell me which threads you participate in, where they are etc? I can't do anything more until the replacement Sony receiver gets here.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You should be able to click on any members name and access their profile which will leed you to more of their posts. There are many members here are far more knowledgable then I am about this stuff but they might not have as much time to devote to it as I do. I suspect a lot of people contribute here while they're supposed to be hard at work. I'm the other way around. I usually browse the Beginners, Receivers and Speakers forums and sometimes the Standard and Hi-Def forums. And of course, the others like the After Hours Lounge, Music, etc just for fun. There a HUGE thread over in the Testing forum, "Testy Area 51". http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/81187/testy-area-51/27870 I have no idea what it's all about but it looks like a HOOT! Also, If you have some time to kill read this one http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/297610/how-to-buy-new-speakers Kind of long but a lot of fun. This forum seems to be much more active in the software areas than the hardware.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
I will still participate here; its helpful and its fun. Just want to broaden my knowledge more. My thanks to you once again because I have picked up alot just talking with you. And I will get back to you about the Dynaco amp after I put the bulbs in and connect it up.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Gene: YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS. The same thing just happened with the 2nd Onkyo receiver, won't respond to remote commands, as with the first one. I am starting to regret having ever started this process of upgrading my two systems. If it doesn't work tomorrow (Thursday) its going back and NO WAY am I keeping any Onkyo receiver. That being said, what the hell do I buy? I am going to take a look at the Pioneer Elite models, but can you tell me exactly what model you have with the 6 presets? Losing my mind in Arizona.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Forgot to put in last post, also provide authorized dealers and what prices I should expect to pay for the Pioneer receivers. I am online looking at them now on Pioneer's site, but the prices listed there we both know are list prices, and the equipment can be had for alot less. My thanks.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
OK HOLD THE FORT. I decided to try the Onkyo this morning and it didn't respond to the remote at all, nor did any of the buttons on the Onkyo work. So I thought, let me just try unplugging it from the surge protector and plugging it back in and VOILA! Everything works fine again. Man, I am on a roller coaster with this stuff.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks