What's new

Need to step up...can you help? (1 Viewer)

Lenore

Auditioning
Hi.

About 3 years ago I purchased a 40 in. Sony XBR LCD TV.

It has been great, but I made a mistake and bought too small a display.

I need to purchase a 50 in. or more display, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I have a problem sometimes with glare so I think that I need to stay away from plasma.

The display hooks into an Onkyo receiver and an old Oppo DVD player which will be switched out to a blue ray player.

I am not interested in 3D, so any suggestions of what to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lenore

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Panasonic makes some great plasmas, followed closely behind Samsung and LG.

For reference viewing I always recommend plasma over LCD based technologies.

If you are set on an LCD panel, consider the LED LG panel that is THX certified.

Good luck

Gregg

Lenore

Auditioning
Gregg,

I remember you from when I was here asking about the Sony XBR.

I know your qualifications, so I am not debating with you, just asking for additional info.

I am only set on LCD because my room gets direct light onto the screen during several months of the year, and I thought that the plasma would not handle that well.

I was reading, and while Panasonic used to be the one to beat on plasmas, it seems Samsung has risen to the top.

On the LCD, why the LG (THX cert) over Sony? Again, I thought if not Sony then back to Samsung.

I sit 10 plus feet from the set, so i need a bigger screen than my 40 in. If I decide to go with Sony(old habits die hard), can you give me some suggestions on NOT 3D sets. There is so much stuff out there, and even with the same brand, and the prices within the same brand for different models with the same size displays that my head is spinning.

My neighbor just bout a 55 in plasma from HHGreg for less than $1300, when 4 years ago I bought a 40 in. Sony XBR2 for $2300.

Thanks

Lenore

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
not sure most people buy a set for 2 hours of sucking viewing every day, what about the other 22 hours?

If it is in direct light, LCD will look pretty bad too. You also have to consider what it will look like during reference viewing.

LCDs have terrible off axis color accuracy and contrast ratios. Plasmas have no derogatory effects when off axis. LG (THX unit) is the best I have seen for off axis problems (meaning the least problematic).

At 10 plus feet you could go 73" plus.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Lenore your instincts are right on. There's a difference between reference viewing and real world. My viewing rooms are not home theaters. They get plenty of light all year round. In summer it could be twelve hours, not two. A few months ago I asked a question about adjusting picture modes...vivid,standard, etc.....and I got hammered by some folks who insist on never leaving the cinema mode...ever!

I have a 2008 40" XBR and a 2010 46" EX700....cost $1,150.....A good LCD in the 55" range would run $1400 or so. Repair people I know agree Sony and Samsung rule. I'd advise that you stay away from supposed internet connectivity stuff, costs extra and it's pretty much worthless.

Real Name
Dennis Palla
Lenore,

I've got two Sony LCDs, 46in XBR6 and a 46in EX700 LED. The first is two years old plus and looks great in the living room that has a lot of ambient light. It is superb for HD satellite viewing and very good with video. Of course the usual caveats in horizontal dispersion and a little weak on some shadow rendition. The EX700 is six months old (located at a vacation home with again a lot of ambient light) is significantly better in shadow detail, about the same in horizontal dispersion and slightly better depth of picture (probably because of the better shadow detail). Amazingly this set cost about half the price of the older XBR. In a little over two years time, Sony has made a set two grades below their top of the line that exceeds the quality of their previous best. I've seen the LGs and they can look good with good adjustment of settings. The Sonys look quite good right out of the box. I do like the top of the line Panasonic plasmas for critical viewing (mine is a 65in VT10 in a dark theater room). I do think the Sonys look better with HD satellite or cable and significantly so with SD broadcasts. For my money, hard to beat the 700-800 series Sony LED models for a broad range of source material in less than optimal viewing locations. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dennis

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis thanks for a perfect example of the difference between a theater room and a room with uncontrollable light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks