What's new

Need to replace/UPGRADE 6x9 JBL (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
One of my JBL GTO923 6x9 speakers has separated from the frame. I glued it back together and it sounds better but noticeably worse than the other one. I have decided to replace the speakers and I'm looking for advice because I know what I want but don't know if it exists.

Let me first say that I owned a pair of Pyle Driver 6x9 with 40oz. magnets before the JBL and those speakers had amazing bass. The bass was deep and tight. Anyone that heard my system assumed that I had a sub, but I didn't and still don't. The Pyle drivers needed replacement after 9years and the owner at the specialty shop that I went to said that they were the best bass of any 6x9 but were no longer available. I went with the JBL but was never that happy with the sound. I put Crystal speakers in my wife's car and I think that they sound better than the JBL.

Anyway I own an Accord with a Proton amp (great 17year old amp) powering Crystal speakers in the front and a PPI 75w rms x2 amp powering my rear 6x9s. I'm aware that the rear speakers are meant to fill in the sound, but I remember what it was like to have killer bass coming from the rears. I would like to know if anyone is familiar with a pair of 6x9s that have great bass and overall very good sound for $200-350. I have NO desire to add a sub to my system because I don't want to give up space, spend extra money and possibly add "boomy" bass to what has always been a tight sounding system. I don't want to start a discussion about "boomy" subs, I just find that few if any of the subs I have heard add the tight bass of a home SVS sub when added to a trunk of a car.

Any direction to my search for a 6x9 speaker that is competent with bass is appreciated.

Matt

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I almost thought that I solved my problem when I found Audiobahn speakers with 40 0z.magnets and a frequency response of 20-21KHz for $140 or less. But then I visited 5 car audio specialty shops yesterday that carry them and none of the people I spoke with had good things to say about Audiobahn. They all said that they put more focus into looks than sound and quality parts. Not only that but most of them said that I won't find really good bass in a 6x9 anymore because EVERY speaker company has cut back on the size and full range capabilities of their 6x9s and are focusing on midrange and treble leaving the bass for subs.

I don't expect great bass but I would like good bass and I still don't want to spend the money on a sub and give up trunk space.

Does anyone know of a quality 6x9 that has decent bass. One of the shop owners had the Earthquake and VTEK line of speakers and was heavily pushing them over his Infinity, MMATS, BOSS, Boston, etc... speakers. I don't know much about Earthquake (looked at their site) and wonder if he is being honest about them being great speakers or if they are junk and he just gets a great mark-up on them. He was selling the Earthquake for $100 and the VTEK for $140.

Spencer M

Grip
Two that I can think of that might fill your need would be the MTX 6x9 Dome-Axials they have the frequency your looking for 20kHz. They sound good and priced about $149 a pair. The other which I have more experience with is the Pioneer REV series 6X9's (TSD-691R) They go down to about 22Hz but sound great have very nice bass responce to them. They retail for about $200 but I am sure you could find them online for less. Goodluck
-Spencer

jimLi

Auditioning

You can usually be sure that the line you haven't heard of that is fairly cheap and being pushed hard is the high margin product. You can tell quality for yourself by looking at how the speaker is made. Thin stamped steel baskets with a poly cone and foam surround is cheap. Cast aluminum baskets and rubber surrounds are found in the better quality speakers. Compare them to an expensive well known brand and you'll probably spot the differences pretty quick. Cheap horrid sounding tweeters are common on cheepo speakers.

I am fond of Alpine (but there are many good brands). Alpine Type R are very nice but your 75 watt amp may be a bit underpowered for them to really work. I did one install with no sub and Clarion SRR6986's (in a Dodge Neon) that produced a surprising amount of bass. They dont have a huge tweeter arrangment in front of them. They are efficient and not outrageously expensive.

jimLi

Auditioning

You can usually be sure that the line you haven't heard of that is fairly cheap and being pushed hard is the high margin product. You can tell quality for yourself by looking at how the speaker is made. Thin stamped steel baskets with a poly cone and foam surround is cheap. Cast aluminum baskets and rubber surrounds are found in the better quality speakers. Compare them to an expensive well known brand and you'll probably spot the differences pretty quick. Cheap horrid sounding tweeters are common on cheepo speakers.

I am fond of Alpine (but there are many good brands). Alpine Type R are very nice but your 75 watt amp may be a bit underpowered for them to really work. I did one install with no sub and Clarion SRR6986's (in a Dodge Neon) that produced a surprising amount of bass. They don't have a huge tweeter arrangment in front of them. They are efficient and not outrageously expensive.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I've done a lot of researching since my first post and I've narrowed my search down to a few speakers with good specs and reviews. I would probably be happy with any one of these but would like to hear from anyone that has experience with one or more than one of them. They are:

Alpine SPR 69LP
Boston Acoustics SX95 or SL95
Kenwood eXcelon KFC X698 or X6900

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help Spencer and Jim. After checking the allowable dimensions of 6x9 speakers for my Accord (at crutchfield) I have narrowed my decision down to the Alpine type R. I wish I had a more powerful amp, but I read good reviews from people who are running the speakers off the radio and I figure that my amp should improve my situation. I will post a follow-up when I receive the speakers, in case it helps someone else. I bought them from Techronics for $96 shipped (Not bad!)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wish I had read this before you bought your replacement 6x9's. I would have suggested adding 8" subs with a 6x9 adapter. With proper tuning you could have great infinite baffle bass.

-Robert

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I was wrong about the power of my PPI, after checking the model# against the owners manual I realize that my PC250 is 50w x 2. At the time of purchase the installer (who I respected) stated that it would be plenty of power for my 6x9. I must say that I never felt my amp was straining, my JBL speakers maybe but not my amp.

The Proton amp is the D230 (very old) I bought it back in 1989 or 1990 to go with my first car stereo. My dad was a fan of Proton home audio and recommended their car amp. I believe the power rating is 35-40w rms and would have peak ratings exceeding 120watts. Proton boasted DPD (dynamic power on demand), and I know it sounds like a marketing ploy, but I must say that the amp EASILY drove my Pyle 6x9 to play loud clean bass that impressed anyone who ever heard my system. They would always think that I had a sub and more powerful amp. I never heard my Proton strain. When recently asking salespeople about Proton only one gentleman older than myself said he new of them and he stated "they used to make high end stuff, I remember that they made the best tv in the world at one point".

Also, just to update people my Alpine Type R's are installed (today) and out of the box they have significantly more bass, and a more open sound than the JBL. I compared one of each speaker side by side. To be fair to the JBL GTO923 it was intact but at least 8 years old. The Alpine doesn't compete with the Pyle but I don't believe any 6x9 does according to those familiar with car audio. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread