What's new

Need to find a very nice hotel in New York for this weekend (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

An unexpected trip to NYC just popped up, and I need to find a really nice hotel to stay at on Saturday night (February 11, 2006).

Can anyone local recommend something spectacular? I was thinking something on a very high floor that would have a great view of the city, either in the Times Square area, or perhaps overlooking Central Park. Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions that people may have.

I'm not working with an unlimited budget (no suites at the Four Seasons, sadly) but I'm prepared to spend what it costs. Any help would be appreciated!

Bob

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
A park view room at the Plaza always works for me but I would also recommend One Central Park West with a park view of course.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm partial to the Carlyle since I had my wedding reception there. Smaller than the Plaza but at least as classy. It's in a quiter part of town (Yorkville) but just a block away from Central Park. Every room has a grand piano and lots of celebs stay there (Jack Nicholson and Kim Basinger were there during my reception) but everybody minds their own business. Fantastic restaurant as well.....

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I was in NYC approx 5 weeks back and to my surprise, the Plaza was being completely gutted. As I started walking towards the Plaza from Bergdorf's on 5th Ave ... I saw a bulldozer come busting out from the lobby of the Plaza. Even the famous entrance steps were being replaced. I'd be pretty surprised if they were re-opened yet.

You might consider the W Hotel Times Square ... supposedly quite upscale. I have also always thought the Rhiga Royal (56th, btwn 6th & 7th) looked quite nice ... this is where ABC puts their TV guests up.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...I heard that the new owners of the Plaza were transforming part of it into luxury apartments. I didn't know that they had already started.....I'm curious what it'll look (and feel) like when they're done......

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
When I was there a few years back, I stayed at the Paramount, just off Times Square. Absolutely great, if you like extensively refurbished older hotels [not looking for the giant-jacuzzi suite type of deal] and avoid the lobby Men's Room. What insane interior decorator finishes the entire interior of a Men's in mirrors!? Roses sticking out of the wall facing the street…

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Forget the Plaza. It's not a hotel any longer.

Best bet in town depends on where you want to stay. In midtown, stay far away from the Palace and any other Helmsley property. The W chain isn't quite what you'd expect. The public spaces are nice but your room could be unbelievably tiny for the money you pay and the service isn't great. The Alex is the hotspot of the moment. It's a Japanese-themed place so if you're into star-gazing and other social pursuits you won't be disappointed but it has some opening pains and, like the W, seems to concentrate more on being chic than being a great place to stay.

If you want a top-tier hotel in midtown with excellent service and a great bed, give the Mandarin Oriental or the Carlyle a shot. While not hip, you surely won't be disappointed with the largesse of the service or accomodations (or the bill). Further downtown THE place of the moment is the Ritz Battery Park. It's better than its sister property in midtown and is quickly gaining a rep as the best Ritz property in the world.

Another midtown sister property cashing-in on its Parisian sister is the Plaza Athenee, also in midtown. Great location on a quiet street and people seem to love it. The Four Seasons is another excellent choice with a stunning I.M. Pei design and a superb location.

If I had to stay in any one of these, I'd choose either the Ritz Battery Park (downtown), or the Carlyle (midtown). The Carlyle is just so New York. It's an institution. Location isn't A1 (more like A2 so still not bad), but if you get a park view room you will NOT be disappointed. The service is wonderful without being pretentious.

Hope you enjoy New York!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"Midtown" seems to be expanding. ;)

I think most people who live here would think of the area around the Carlyle as the Upper East Side. (As noted above, the area is named "Yorkville", but no one uses that.) I consider it an A1 area, but that's probably because I live around the corner. It's not an accident that the Carlyle keeps coming up. With the demise of the Plaza, it is the old-style New York hotel.

I too have heard good things about the Ritz Battery Park, but the problem with that hotel is the location, which is far from most of the things that people like to visit in NYC. However, there's a new Ritz on Central Park South; I haven't been inside, but the location is ideal (and it's genuinely in midtown).

If one is looking for a "spectacular" experience, I would avoid the area around Madison Square Garden altogether.

M.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Absolutely, however I wanted to keep it relative and simple, hence the A2 rating meaning it's not as convenient but nonetheless a great location. Despite the general gridedness of the thing, Manhattan can be a very confusing place for visitors and I think "midtown" says more to a visitor than "Upper East Side" even if it's not, in NYC vernacular, correct. Either way it's less than 20 elegant (and relatively short) east side blocks to the real midtown.

Users who are viewing this thread