What's new

Need some input.. Beware "Audio Newb" ;) (1 Viewer)

Blitzgheriz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Greetings All!

I'm needing a little help with ideas or input for my first step in piecing together my new HT.

I'm upgrading from a Samsung AH64-03822X 5 Disc DVD Player with 5.1 Surround Sound. This system is so old I can't find any documentation on it to give you all a general idea.

Anyways, I'm more of a computer geek than anything to do with audio, but my wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade our audio system in our living room. At first, after a little research, I had my eyes on the Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1 HTiB. But after reading several reviews, forum posts, and opinions on HTiB in general, I decided against any HTiB at all. I want the most bang for my buck, and It doesn't seem I will be happy with a HTiB. So now I have a budget of $1000 and I'm trying to decide how best to spend it. My thoughts are to buy each component as I can afford it starting with the AVR or Seperates. After much research over several different sites, I found a AVR that I really like, that has a lot of features that I'm interested in (i.e. Wi-Fi & Bluetooth). The AVR is the Sony STRDN1040 7.2-Channel AVR. I don't know anything about AVR's or the name brands that make a better AVR than others. So what I'm asking, is this a good pick for a beginner, or could I get something better with my initial $1000 investment.

Thanks for your help! :)
Blitz

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Great choice of not doing HTIB at all. How big is the room? Do you guys wanna do a 5.1 still? What size of speakers are you looking for (towers, bk shelves, satellites)? What components will be utilized? What's also important to you/wife, bass or treble? Do you plan on adding more speakers to the same AVR in the future? Music/movies in other rooms? Just to clarify, $1000 for the whole entire system, correct?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 9400THX is not HTiB. It is a pre-package. The only issue with that Sony(and AVR its price) is Zone 2 is analog. No net nor airplay over Zone 2.WiFi and Bluetooth exist in the Onkyo NR626. A far better AVR.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I dont normally recommend Onkyo but I would take the 626 Sam recommended over a Sony AVR. Your budget is pretty tight and speakers can easily be found on the used market for cheap. If you dont mind used speakers give us your city/state and distance you can reasonably travel and we'll look around for some deals.

Blitzgheriz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
[Answering Questions from Audio14]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"How big is the room?" [/color]14 feet wide x 32 feet deep, about 5 feet length is our entryway.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"Do you guys wanna do a 5.1 still?" I was looking into 7+ channels and up for future use.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"What size of speakers are you looking for (towers, bk shelves, satellites)?" I'd prefer towers, but the wife would be happier with smaller speakers, so I will probably go for book shelf speakers, possibly some from Klipsch or Polk?[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"What components will be utilized?" I'm not sure what this means...sorry.. newb.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"What's also important to you/wife, bass or treble?" Bass, we listen to a lot upbeat music, and like the walls to shake when watching action packed movies.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"Do you plan on adding more speakers to the same AVR in the future?" [Yes, when funds are available, just need something to get me going for now][/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"Music/movies in other rooms?" Possibly, never considered it before.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]"Just to clarify, $1000 for the whole entire system, correct?" $1000 for the first piece, or enough to get me going. I do have some older Technics Speakers [3 speaker system-L&R Towers and Center] that have Impedance of 8 ohms that I could use until I could afford some nicer speakers.[/color]

---

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]In response to schan1269, since the Onkyo 9400 THX is a pre-package, would that be a better way to go for a beginner or should I continue through the learning process and buy better equipment a little bit at a time? I'm in no rush for a complete system, just want it to sound good and have options for future upgrades.[/color]

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll continue to answer all questions to the best of my abilities.
Blitz!

Blitzgheriz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Type A said:
I dont normally recommend Onkyo but I would take the 626 Sam recommended over a Sony AVR. Your budget is pretty tight and speakers can easily be found on the used market for cheap. If you dont mind used speakers give us your city/state and distance you can reasonably travel and we'll look around for some deals.
I don't mind buying used, especially if I can test the equipment before purchase. I don't want blown speakers or anything like that. The $1k I have planned for a budget is just to get me going. I don't want or need to buy it all at once. I just want to understand what I'm getting before I get it and I want it to perform well. As for city/state and distance travel = Holden, MO. / 60 Mile Radius.

Thanks for the help :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your thread yesterday...

Adding Technics to a Sony AVR...

You'd be good connecting those speakers, however long you wish for, to any AVR. Sony, Onkyo, Denon...anything.

Blitzgheriz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
schan1269 said:
Your thread yesterday...

Adding Technics to a Sony AVR...

You'd be good connecting those speakers, however long you wish for, to any AVR. Sony, Onkyo, Denon...anything.
Yes, I meant to thank you for the feedback, so I will do so now. After posting that question and looking into more options and what not, I realized that I needed some direction on choosing a good solid AVR and any other tips I can acquire from starting out, as I have no clue what is good and what isn't. I think I might be understanding some of the specs after looking at them for the past few days. I just need a little clarification on the speaker question. Since the speakers are 8 ohms, do I need a AVR that can provide 8 ohms to that specific speaker for it to operate, or is the 8 ohm Impedance have something to do with its nominal performance, and it would still be fine with 6 ohms?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Basics 001 (not even 101)...

The AVR(amp) provides voltage and amperage.

Speakers are a "load". IE Ohm load.

Math of voltage into an amperage...divided by an ohm load gives you "watts".

That is all a speaker is. An ohm load. (think wind resistance when driving a car).
Voltage is the gas pedal.
Amperage is "the total sum of power there is".

So. AVR are designed to work with(not provide) certain ohm loads. 8 is a generic "safe for everything" ohm load. Ohm load is also...not fixed, it fluctuates.

But taking this back to basics...8ohm(rated) speakers can be connected to every amp ever made. When you drop to 6, then 4...is when you have to start looking at the amps for their compatibility.

6ohm is not a problem for the vast majority of AVR. AVR are purchased(predominantly) for the features they provide(which is what Audio14 was getting at).

Do you want...
Multi-Zone?
Networking?
Airplay?

What are your sources...
Wii/VCR?
PS3/4
BD
Roku/ATV?
LP?
Cassette?

Blitzgheriz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
schan1269 said:
Do you want...
Multi-Zone?
Networking?
Airplay?

What are your sources...
Wii/VCR?
PS3/4
BD
Roku/ATV?
LP?
Cassette?
Considering Multi-Zone, must have networking capabilities, preferably Wi-Fi, don't need or want Airplay as I am not a big fan of Apple products.
My sources would be Wii, PS3, & XBox 360. I currently have a Vizio E6011-A3 Smart TV.
By the way, thanks for the detailed explanation about ohms.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What sources are you multi-zoning?

The Wii, do you use this?
http://www.amazon.com/Component-AV-Cable-Nintendo-Wii-HDTV/dp/B000OFSBL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395001086&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+component+cable (if not, get one)

Everything connects to the AVR...there is only one cable AVR to TV. As well...are there apps in the TV you use?(with the PS3 and Xbox...I doubt it)

I would get the Onkyo 525 or 626(main difference, for you, is BT and WiFi are included on the 626...require adapters on the 525).

Another option is the elder 515/616 at A4L...(although, curiously....both are not currently listed...) but there is this one (think NR616 "lite")
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkhtrc460/onkyo-ht-rc460-7.2-channel-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
The multi-zone will offer you the flexibility to listen to different/same content in different rooms. The AVR itself to have that feature is gonna run about $500 to still do 7.1. As a thought, Magnolia has a bundle of $900 I believe that consists of Pioneer VSX-43 & Def Tech PC600, not a bad system to start with. Speaker selectors always come in handy as an option to multi-zone. PERSUADE the wife of this if you like:2 Def Tech Towers(slim and sexy), BP-8020ST & the VSX-70 Elite/Yamaha A730/830 and Center channel. You guys can build on that system for good. Enough power, inputs, features. You can even bypass the center for now, highly recommend getting that before rears or anything else tho

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A4L also has a Denon AVR with Focal Subs for $900.No, the AVR doesn't have every feature you want...but.The Sibs are fabulous(for their size) and the price would allow you to move the AVR to a bedroom when ready to really go 7.1(lots of new features coming on next year's AVR, which debut now to May).The Pioneer VSX 44 is an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks