1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help with a DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JustinTI, May 11, 2003.

1. JustinTI

JustinTI New Member

Hi, this is my first post on this board. I am looking to get a DVD player for my dad. I am willing to spend $200 total - cables included. However, if there is a much better player for a little bit more money, I will go over the limit. He has a Sony 36" XBR 450 - its HD ready. He has never owned a DVD player and still uses a VCR to watch movies. I think he will be pleasantly surprised with DVD's especially on his TV. I was thinking either the Panasonic S55S or the Sony DVP-NS725P with Monster Video component cables. I definitely want this DVD player to be progressive scan but DVD-Audio or SACD capabilities arent a must. Any input from yall would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do yall think would be the best place to buy it at? Its for fathers day so I am not in a hurry.

Thanks,
    JustinTI

2. JustinTI

JustinTI New Member

Anyone have input?

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    If you can still find one, you should try getting the Panny XP30 or CP72 (changer) instead. Either should offer better PQ me thinks. OTOH, I do like the new Panny's GUI, but your Dad may not care for such things.

I'm assuming the Sony 36" is a 4x3 HDTV, not 16x9, so no need for scaling.

_Man_

4. JustinTI

JustinTI New Member

Thanks.[​IMG]

5. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Well-Known Member

The Panny you mentioned would be a great one, and with 1 meter Monster component cables will be under your budget. Good choice Justin.

Scott