1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help hooking up a subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pat_DiLella, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Pat_DiLella

Pat_DiLella Extra

Last week I bought some speakers for $75 on closeout at BJ’s to use as home theather speakers. They are Pioneer speakers and the package included 2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, 1 center channel speaker, and a subwoofer. After doing a little research I found that the speakers were part of a home theater system that came with a dvd and receiver.

I went to hook the speakers up yesterday and ran into a problem hooking up the subwoofer. The subwoofer that came with the package is supposed to be wired to the receiver like any other speaker. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX –711 and it has an input for a powered subwoofer but no connection terminals that I could use to wire it in, thus making the speakers I bought useless since I can’t hook up the sub. Is there any kind of adapter I could buy that I could use to wire the subwoofer to and then run a cable to the back of my receiver into the subwoofer connections? Or can I wire it to anything else? I can’t think of a way to do it.

Also in general is a powered subwoofer “better” than one that is not powered? I am not looking for anything great, just something that will give me nice clean sound for home theather and music.

Thanks