What's new

Need some good ideas on how i can arrange my current home theater set up (1 Viewer)

heyitishcirs

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Hi all,
Not too satisfied with the way the installers set up my last home surround sound system. (think they took the easy way out)
Looking for new ideas...
I would like to drop my front L and R speakers bc they are too high and put them by the sides of my tv in the wall. Not too sure what i can do with the center speaker. Thinking about maybe putting it directly overheard in my living room or above my tv in the center.

I also bought a soundbar just in case as another option to put under my tv. only problem is once i put this on brackets it will stick out farther than my tv and wont be flush. looking for some creative ideas on what to do.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Yea I agree, that is the worst speaker mountings I have ever seen or read about. Why anyone would place L,C,R speakers several feet above the TV is beyond me.

My first question is; how far back is your primary viewing spot/area? Typically, you want all the speakers at ear level (the surrounds and and rears slightly above 1-2'), and the distance from the left speaker to the listening position equal to the distance for the right speaker, and the distance between the L&R = to the ditance to the listening position. The center channel speaker should be above (a little!) or below the TV.

I would recommend a good set of either tower speakers, or bookshelf speakers (on stands) sitting where your two vases are sitting. If your listening position in more than what appears to be about 6', then the L&R speakers should be farther to the left & right if possible.

The TV seems too high to me also. It should be at eye level when you are seated. A TV that is mounted to high will casue neck strain (and cause speaker mounting problems).

As for your exisitng speakers, I would pull the "plug" on those.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think the builder did a real number on you.

heyitishcirs

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
It's fine....i spent major money on this and it's like i have no way of getting a refund for the work...the new installer thought it was an odd installation too. When i asked the previous installer why he put them so high he said no need to worry the speaker are angled down towards the listeners. I was thinking about using two of those speaker for in wall ceiling installs in the middle of the living room and moving the center one into my kitchen bc i like to use Pandora or just moving those current L, R, and center speakers down into the nook.

I am ok with the level of the TV.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
WOW...

If I would have been the installer, the TV would have been lower, the component racks would be side by side under the TV and the L / C / R would be appropriately placed.

I'd bring the TV down and get a wall mount rack system that will allow you to split the components into two rows under the TV.

As for the audio that gets subjective. I wouldn't do in wall speakers unless it was a full blown, trying to look like a movie theater, home theater. I would instead opt for some beautiful sounding and beautifully finished floor standers and a timbre matching center. But that's me, and if you are not permitted to do that (WAF) or don't like that setup, I would at least look for some rectangle wall mount speakers that sound great to your ear, all timbre matching and then paint them and the grills to match the walls, the L and R to either side of the TV and the Center under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks