What's new

Need some advice on my first system (1 Viewer)

I'm looking to build an audio system from the ground up to go with the great video I have. I have Blu-Ray (PS3) and a full HD Sony TV using HDMI and all that, but the built-in speakers on my TV are obviously nowhere near good enough. I wouldn't call myself an "audiophile" by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I have pretty good ears for more subtle differences in speakers and headphones. My main question is what exactly do I need to buy to have a good setup. Right now I'm tracking that I should pick up:

- Receiver

- Speakers

- Subwoofer

- Cables for it all

- Power protection
- Brackets/furniture, etc

- Universal remotes

- SPL meter

I don't really want to spend too much money on this, but it's looking to be significantly more expensive than I imagined. I've seen that in general a HTiB is not nearly as good as something custom built, but they seem to be much cheaper.

My first question is are there any HTiBs worthwhile that wouldn't sound completely terrible?

Second question is can someone please recommend some brands to look at for the components I'd need to custom build?

Third: do the brands of equipment need to match? For example, is using a Pioneer receiver with Paradigm speakers and a Yamaha woofer okay?

Fourth: Is it possible to build a good system for less than $3k?

I appreciate the help!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Andrew,

The only HTiBs that are kinda worth the money are the ones made by Onkyo. The Onkyo's come with a real receiver and with standard connections. This means you can update speakers later if you want. Of course the speakers are still cheap....

Brands: For receivers check out Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Harmon Kardon. Avoid Sony stay far, far away from BOSE. My favorites are Onkyo and Denon (I like the auto EQ that ships with them).

Speakers: Go to local stores and listen. Then look online at SVS, Axiom, HSU, and others. Regardless what you choose, always get the sub online (you get way for your money).

Get cables from monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cables.

Only rule is keep the front soundstage 'timbre matched' (voice matched). This means getting the speakers of the same brand that were meant to work together. Most folks get the same brand for the surrounds as well (again, keeping things timbre matched). The sub can be from anyone. Other than this, no need to match brands.

You can create a great sounding setup for $3000

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Andrew,

You want the receiver that will be the hub of your system where all of the audio and video sources are connected together. The receiver will then send the Video to your TV which will be nothing more than a monitor and the Audio will be sent to your speakers. Receivers vary in their ability to do this. Some of the entry level HTib don't do this very well therefore you need to spend more to get the results you wish to receive.

Once you decide on what functions you want your receiver to perform then how your system will sound will be determined by the speaker system you select. This will be the most difficult choice for you to make as a $1,000 receiver cannot make a cheep speaker system sound good.

AVES

Grip
Real Name
Frank
Greetings Andrew

There are countless possibilities for a nice sounding HT system in the $3K ball park. I would be happy to discuss your room/sound needs further. More importantly, I can offer you a great system quote over your local national brick and mortar retailer. Keep in mind these retailers are corporate/shareholder based, not always selling consumers products for their best intentions but rather for the needs of the company. Look me up when you get some free time.

Regards,

Frank

[email protected]

www.htesolutions.com

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're not seriously here trying to SPAM this great forum, are you?

Originally Posted by AVES

There are countless possibilities for a nice sounding HT system in the $3K ball park. I would be happy to discuss your room/sound needs further. More importantly, I can offer you a great system quote over your local national brick and mortar retailer. Keep in mind these retailers are corporate/shareholder based, not always selling consumers products for their best intentions but rather for the needs of the company. Look me up when you get some free time.

Regards,

Frank

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected]

www.htesolutions.com

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just want to point out that Frank is currently a sponsor

of Home Theater Forum and that he is a trusted dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks