What's new

Need Some Advice on Ebay/fraud (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Back to the OP... What does the tracking info show? Does it show it was delivered? Whenever I've sold on eBay (which is rare) I've always paid for tracking for just such an occurrence.

I wonder what the rules for small claims court is - do you have to be present? You could go back to the buyer, lay it out that you believe they are scamming you, you have proof of shipment (and delivery?), they have tarnished your reputation on ebay to the point where you are refusing to sell there anymore. You are refusing to pay and they can take you to small claims court. You can provide the emails from eBay stating they always side with the buyer, and the multiple instances of claims from the buyer. I would think anyone just trying to scam you would back down when they realize going to ebay isn't going to work anymore.

I don't think I've ever had a real problem with ebay but I scrutinize every listing I consider for possible B.S. Recently I ordered an indie LP record from the 80s that was listed as sealed. I highly doubted it was an original, still sealed 25 year old record but there were pictures and the seller had an excellent record so I went for it. Right after they said it was shipped the same item was relisted! I was pissed thinking I got ripped off. It came and yes, it's exactly what they said it was. Couldn't have been happier.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Paul, I still need to get off my behind and call the USPS. I've been so busy the past week moving and trying to get everything set up in my apartment (including dealing with a snow storm) that I simply bad to put this on my back burner. At this point it really hasn't cost me anything but a reputation on eBay but my feedback is still flawless so my desire to fight to system so to speak has just dwindled down to nothing. When I call the USPS I'm going to certainly tell them the full story and perhaps they can do more since, to everyone, it seems like a fraud issue.

I've also thought about contacting the police down there to at least send a little fear into her but I just haven't had time.

The tracking says "out for delivery" and that's where it ends.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The way I see it, if tracking says "Out for Delivery" the buyer needs to contact the post office to locate the package. It shoudn't be up to the seller - out of your hands. But that's assuming the buyer isn't scamming. And, really, if it says "out for delivery" it may really not have made it to it's destination yet.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I've been lucky so far, to never be ripped off on Ebay. Then again, I never sold anything that was over $100, and used to think that Paypal was some kind of buffer or safety net in case something would go wrong. Based on the posts in this thread, it seems like that was never really the case at all.But my father was ripped off, as he sent a money order to someone for a bag of golf clubs, which never came. He tried to call the guy, but the guy was not really receptive at all, saying things like "I'll get them to you soon" in a drunken state. At the time, I never used Ebay so I had no clue on how to help him. Later, when I did famiIiarize myself with Ebay, I thought the lesson at the time, was "use Paypal for all transactions".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just wondering, if she sent you a message stating she did get the first package couldn't you forward that to Ebay as proof. ?

In the UK we would use recorded delivery or for more expensive items registered next day delivery, registered would give you additional insurance against an item going missing or being damaged while in transit and a signature is required and that is your proof of delivery, no way could they claim non-delivery, isn't there a signature required in the USA. ?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Walter C said:
I've been lucky so far, to never be ripped off on Ebay. Then again, I never sold anything that was over $100, and used to think that Paypal was some kind of buffer or safety net in case something would go wrong. Based on the posts in this thread, it seems like that was never really the case at all.
They used to be separate companies, but eBay owns PayPal now.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah eBay said they couldn't except any "proof" from me copying the Paypal talk. They went into our accounts and checked through the eBay messages that we had sent back and forth. They didn't see anything there saying she had received her package so they're refusing any sort of proof. In fact, even if the post office or police go after here they can't clear me until the tracking number shows delivered.

I'm going to contact the USPS this weekend and see what they say. At worst I hope I can at least get my $50 insurance from both packages.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I've been lucky so far, to never be ripped off on Ebay. Then again, I never sold anything that was over $100, and used to think that Paypal was some kind of buffer or safety net in case something would go wrong. Based on the posts in this thread, it seems like that was never really the case at all.But my father was ripped off, as he sent a money order to someone for a bag of golf clubs, which never came. He tried to call the guy, but the guy was not really receptive at all, saying things like "I'll get them to you soon" in a drunken state. At the time, I never used Ebay so I had no clue on how to help him. Later, when I did famiIiarize myself with Ebay, I thought the lesson at the time, was "use Paypal for all transactions".
A big reason by Ebay lost me was the Paypal connection. I know a lot of people trust it, but when they wanted direct access to my bank account, I was done.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Crossing state lines most likely makes it a federal offence...

Contact the federal Internet Fraud Division

It might also be considered mail fraud - that ups the penalties & seriousness

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stan said:
A big reason by Ebay lost me was the Paypal connection. I know a lot of people trust it, but when they wanted direct access to my bank account, I was done.
When I was selling, I maintained a separate bank account with a small balance just for use with Ebay/Paypal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is BS on Ebay's part. They just lost all my business to Etsy and CraigsList.

They cancelled(and banned listing for 2 weeks) 12 listings of mine.

They were all build to suit items(sheds, tree stands, picnic tables) that have to be delivered...

I said..."20% deposit Paypal, remainder COD".

I got an email yesterday telling me to remove the COD. Ignored it(mainly cause I was asleep when I got the emails on my phone)...and got the email "your listings as follows have been cancelled"...

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
schan1269 said:
This is BS on Ebay's part. They just lost all my business to Etsy and CraigsList.

They cancelled(and banned listing for 2 weeks) 12 listings of mine.

They were all build to suit items(sheds, tree stands, picnic tables) that have to be delivered...

I said..."20% deposit Paypal, remainder COD".

I got an email yesterday telling me to remove the COD. Ignored it(mainly cause I was asleep when I got the emails on my phone)...and got the email "your listings as follows have been cancelled"...

fascists!!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
When I was selling, I maintained a separate bank account with a small balance just for use with Ebay/Paypal.
I do the same thing with a credit card. Have one with a small limit just for internet purchases. Never give out access to my regular cards or my bank account.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I haven't looked for a car on eBay in a long, long time. I know someone who bought one through eBay (from a dealer), but that was a few years ago.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually I found my car on Ebay over 6.5 years ago. But we didn't do the deal over Ebay (although I found it as an Ebay auto listing), as it was listed by a local seller, and we just did the deal as if I saw an Auto Trader ad by the seller, and negotiated a price for the car.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I can't believe that Ebay is siding with the buyer when you show the package delivered. Here in the Seattle area, there is a TV segment on the local news called Get Jessie, where if you have problems they will deal with it. If you have something locally try getting them on your case. They usually embarrass the company into making it right, and this is pretty clear cut. I would also file complaints with the BBB and your states atty general. Its just more pressure you can put on Ebay. Mail (old school) copies of those complaints to them. Its worth it for the $400.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I never ended up doing anything over the previous case because it just frustrated me so bad. Didn't even bother going to the USPS to get my $50 "insurance" that I could have.

With that said. After a few months I signed up for a new account and started selling. Just spent the last two hours on the phone with eBay because they took yet another $186 from my account saying that the buyer didn't receive the item. I filed the appeal and I lost within two minutes on the phone but here's the kicker. The tracking information they have says it was DELIVERED. That's right. The tracking number from the USPS says that the buyer received the item five days after I shipped it. They received it on June 9. The complaint was filed on June 29. The case went against me on July 7 and now eBay is saying the appeal process doesn't cover me bringing up the fact that the tracking number shows delivered. Really????

Obviously I just have bad luck at selling things but I've already contacted my bank and I'm trying to get the money back claiming it was an unauthorized withdraw from eBay. After 90-minutes with customer service I got a manager on the line who claims to be looking into things but this is just downright crazy. They file a complaint 27 days after they bought the item and yet I've only got a week to respond to the complaint. I was out of town. Didn't know about the case until the day after and now they're not accepting the tracking number.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
That's BS. I always get some sort of tracking when I sell something so I can prove it was received. I thought that would be a safeguard. Apparently not. And, IIRC, you can't put a negative comment on the seller's profile so he can buy whatever he wants, deny receiving it, and get it all free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks