What's new

Need Seating Configuration Advice. Trying to avoid riser. (1 Viewer)

bfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
brendan
Just installed a theater with projector in my basement. The screen is at the end of a long room. Need some seating configuration suggestions (pictures would be great). Currently have a sectional in front. Behind that I have a small game table and behind that a pool table. Room for riser behind the sectional but think that would block view from pool table (game table position is flexible). Are there seats/couches that recline that have small built in riser? Anywhere to buy a bar that could run along the back of the sectional and be as tall as the back of the sectional? Could put seats at such a bar. Someday I hope to have enough friends to require substantial quantities of seating.

Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Brendan. Any chance you could draw out the layout of the room or upload some pictures to this thread? The layout doesn't have to be pretty. Based on what you describe, it sounds like putting some bar stools behind the couch would be a good idea. I'm sure there are places to buy bars locally, but that can get expensive. You could try just using one or two sofa tables behind the sectional to give you a "bar". The nice thing about doing this is the seating is flexible. If someone wants to watch a movie then great. If they want to watch people playing pool then they can just move the chairs. They can also move them around the heads of people in the sectional if they want better sight lines. You can even stay with the movie theme and save some money by getting "director chairs" instead of bar stools.

I have never seen couches or chairs that have a built in riser.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Hi Brendan - here are a couple of pics from my home theater thread here on HTF - I have an issue with using a riser for second row seating because the drop-ceiling in my basement, where my movie theater is located, is only 6 1/2 feet high. I built my own bar from an old piece of formica kitchen counter, some 2x4 lumber, and thin sheets of oak plywood and trim from Lowes. I still need to install a few pieces of trim on the bar yet, but it looks OK for being scratch built without having a woodshop to build it in.

In the photos, I am currently using a few extra chairs from my kitchen dinette set, which sit 18" high and are a bit low for second-row seating, but I built the counter to a height specifically designed for 24" barstools. I still need to purchase the barstools, trying to get the money up for those yet. The people sitting on the sofa in the front row are low enough that on 24" barstools guests will look over the top of their heads with no blockage line-of-sight to the screen.

You can see more of my theater setup in my HTF thread here...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/292691/the-frey-theater-diy-but-better-every-month

bfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
brendan
Thank you for your responses. Bar behind the couch is a good idea and may work. Not handy enough to do it myself and can't find anything pre-built on internet. Will keep looking.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by FreyTheater

Hi Brendan - here are a couple of pics from my home theater thread here on HTF - I have an issue with using a riser for second row seating because the drop-ceiling in my basement, where my movie theater is located, is only 6 1/2 feet high. I built my own bar from an old piece of formica kitchen counter, some 2x4 lumber, and thin sheets of oak plywood and trim from Lowes. I still need to install a few pieces of trim on the bar yet, but it looks OK for being scratch built without having a woodshop to build it in.
That looks good and is a slick/cheap way to have a pretty nice looking bar!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
To me, it's important that the space be comfortable as a gathering place when the screen isn't in use. Rows of seats would sit unused most of the time.

http://www.animationarchive.org/pics/theater1.jpg

http://www.animationarchive.org/pics/theater2.jpg

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Nice bar, Troy!

Nice room, Stephen!

I echo the "sofa table" approach. There are zillions of styles and sizes available. Likewise, there are any number of barstools out there that would fit your decor. Maybe you need some fish fighting chairs from a deep-sea fishing boat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks