1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need notebook recomendation

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dan M~, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

I've been doing a lot of traveling for work and come to the conclusion I need a notebook type computer. It would be used for checking email at the hotels so I want built in 802.11 and 10/100 capabilities. It would not be used for gaming. I would like to be able to watch DVD's also while on the plane (5.5 to 6 hours coast to coast). What would you recommend? Cost is very important since I'm buying this for myself. What brand has the best batteries? Can you get a 6 hour battery? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan M~

2. SethH

SethH Screenwriter

Take a look at the Dell Latitude X1 and Dell Inspiron 700m. The key to getting good battery life is that everything is a trade-off. If you get a faster processor, your battery life will drop. If you get a faster HD, your battery life will drop.

For your purposes, I would recommned getting the lightest laptop possible (hence my recommendations). Get 512MB of RAM and a DVD drive and get something with one of the mobile Pentium processors in it (this is key to battery life). I'd also go ahead and pick up an extra battery. Even with your best notebooks today, 6 hours would be pushing it. You're most likely to get 4-5 out of a new battery and that will shorten as it gets older.

3. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Averatec.

Check them out, they're fantastic machines for the price.

4. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rather then talk specific's what you'll need to meet those requirements is a laptop that's using the new Centrino (Dothan) chipset that use the 533 Mhz front side bus. These new models use less power then the older ones and are pretty much the only laptops that will run longer then 5 hours without the need for multiple batteries (though to be honest I'm not sure what Mac has? The Ultimate link above gives a batt life of only 4.5 hours). Regardless given that requirement your list of potential laptops is fairly small since this chip isn't available to the degree the old Centrio is. I bought a Dell i6000 that uses it and its been good for my needs todate but its pretty big and heavy for a traveling machine.

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

You might want to consider a 12" Macintosh iBook with a Combo drive, a custom-order upgrade of the HD size, and an upgrade to 512+ MB of RAM. Base price of the machine is $999, so you're looking at maybe $1500 after upgrades and an extra battery and a travel case.

There are also ultra-lightweight Sony laptops that have full-size keyboard and screens and that weigh 3-4 pounds. These might be of interest if your only applications are office applications and Web/e-mail access. A drawback is that these machines are relatively pricey.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Screenwriter

I'm loving my Dell 700m, but as much as I'd like to reccomend it to you, you should stay away. It's battery life isn't really good. On the standard battery I get a little over 2hrs, that's connected to wifi surfing the web, checking email and downloading some files, with the screen dimmed by 1. With the extended battery it's supposed to nearly double that. I'm sure spinning a DVD would drain the battery faster, mabye 1.5-3 hrs depending on which battery.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I would recommend one of the new 15" Apple PowerBooks. You get Tiger free and the OS rocks!

9. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

Can't go wrong with the Toshiba Sats (although I use a Dell Latitude at home) [​IMG]

10. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the
    Toughbook Y2

I have this laptop and love it, great batter, built in DVD/CDRW, super light and long battery life, it is not the cheapest, but if you need a PC I would HIGHLY recommend this model.

Lance