What's new

Need new HD TV and Blu Ray player (1 Viewer)

Jorge Rod

Agent
I am replacing my old LCD Samsung 32" and old DVD player. My issue is space, as I am limited to a 38" wide TV due to cabinet space. I know some Samsung 40" LCDs are 36-37" wide, so they could fit.

I am open to plasma or LCD/LED, but I am not sure there are plasmas that small out there. I am willing to spend around $800 - $900 (maybe a little more) for both units. I am using an old Denon receiver with JBL speakers, so sound is not important. The TV will be used for VZ Fios TV, Wii U games and Blu Ray movies. I am not sure if I would use Smart TV capabilities. I am an Apple user, so may buy Apple TV later this year.

I want the best picture quality for that price range.

Any suggestions on a TV and Blue Ray player? Thanks!

Jorge Rod

Agent
Thanks for the recommendation. I was ready to purchase the Panny BDT230 but I read many bad reviews from regular users at Amazon. The BDT220 is double the price but with a much better review rates. Is there a big difference between these two?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the recommendation. I was ready to purchase the Panny BDT230 but I read many bad reviews from regular users at Amazon. The BDT220 is double the price but with a much better review rates. Is there a big difference between these two?
I have both of them and image quality is the same, excellent. The 230 is slightly faster when navigating the menus. There's no way I'd pay more for the 220.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
IMO, the best BD player made is the Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105. They cant be beat. (retail price is $499).

Jorge Rod

Agent
The Oppo units are outside my budget. Seriously considering the Panny BDT230.

What about for the TV? I am currently testing the Samsung UN40EH5300F ($450). This is a 40" LCD/LED 1080p 60Hz. The picture looks good, but I noticed defects at the edges on characters when playing the Wii U. I have not test it with the Blue Ray player yet, as I need to order it. Costco has the UN40F6350AF (40" LCD/LED 1080p 120Hz) for $650.

Has anyone tried any of these TVs? Is there any other 40" I should consider? Thanks!

Jorge

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The best gaming sets are plasma. Not sure what "edge defects" you refer to, unless the CMR was "on".

I don't follow LCD issues, beyond the fact they have issues. No matter what LCD you buy it is compromised.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
In my opinion, LED is superior to other technologies, no matter what screen size you have, and Samsung has the best HDTV on the market, quality wise. JMO, YMMV.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
schan1269 said:
That's a great joke.

I would expect someone who is a reviewer to have a little more class, and allow a member's opinion to stand without making fun of him.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The only problem with plasma TV's I found when I was a salesman was that the glass face reflects light in the room. It was a hard sell unless someone was putting it in a basement. I have a plasma in my bedroom and its a beautiful picture with the lights out. But when the lights are on I see the bedroom reflected in the TV screen.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Roland, that same problem is now extremely common with LEDs too.

Richard, how do you find LEDs superior to plasmas ?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Richard V said:
In my opinion, LED is superior to other technologies, no matter what screen size you have, and Samsung has the best HDTV on the market, quality wise. JMO, YMMV.

LED is a back-light, not a display technology, so LED TVs are really just LCDs with LED back-lighting. However, it is a definite improvement over the fluorescent tube back-lights used by older LCD HDTVs and that is still used on cheaper models.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and as far as LCD goes, the Sammy is one of the best. However, every independent survey I'm aware of that checked both objective and subjective LCD vs plasma picture quality had plasma as the best, not LCD, regardless of back lighting. My own admittedly non-scientific testing in showrooms and personal viewing has also convinced me that plasma is still the better picture.

If you have any independent testing reports showing LCD with the better PQ please post a link. I would love to see the study and review the data.

Jorge Rod

Agent
I have not seen 40" plasmas, so that is not an option. Also, I got 3 huge windows in my living room, so lighting is an issue. If there are plasmas on that size, let me know. I have had great experience with Samsung LCDs, but it seems some of you are not big fans. What other brands should I check out? Again, I am constrained by a 38" wide cabinet space.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gregg Loewen said:
Roland, that same problem is now extremely common with LEDs too.

Richard, how do you find LEDs superior to plasmas ?
My opinion, the back lit LED's provide a sharper picture quality, esp if the TV has 240 Hz rating.. Many people say they can't tell the difference, but I certainly can, at least on my Samsung LED 55": LED's are also lighter (weight) and use less energy. Most people say that the plasmas produce better contrast with esp good dark blacks, and I'd probably agree with that, but overall, I just think LED's with 240 Hz refresh rate (or higher, as some TV's now provide) are the best overall HDTV's out there. There are plenty of people out there who swear by plasma, but that's just me, I prefer LED.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Dan Driscoll said:
LED is a back-light, not a display technology, so LED TVs are really just LCDs with LED back-lighting. However, it is a definite improvement over the fluorescent tube back-lights used by older LCD HDTVs and that is still used on cheaper models.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and as far as LCD goes, the Sammy is one of the best. However, every independent survey I'm aware of that checked both objective and subjective LCD vs plasma picture quality had plasma as the best, not LCD, regardless of back lighting. My own admittedly non-scientific testing in showrooms and personal viewing has also convinced me that plasma is still the better picture.

If you have any independent testing reports showing LCD with the better PQ please post a link. I would love to see the study and review the data.
I don't know if this PC magazine article has any hard data, perhaps just subjective analysis, but the reviewer shares my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks