1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need new amp for passive subs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keith Mickunas, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Well-Known Member

I have a pair of SVS 16-46CS+ subs that I've been running off a Samson S1000 amp for the past 5 years. Well tonight I noticed that the amp was indicating the protection circuit was tripped for one of the amps and power is definitely not being sent to the sub. I removed all connections to the amp and that didn't change anything, so I'm assuming it's dead, and it's well out of warranty.

I sent an e-mail to SVS to see what they recommend, but I figured I should go ahead and get some recommendations for a replacement amp.

I've seen the Behringer EP1500 (450 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel)and EP2500 (750 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel) for what seem like really cheap prices at J&R and Partsexpress.com. Anybody have any other suggestions? I have yet to find any Samson amps being sold by someone I'm familiar with.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    Is it a circuit breaker type circuit? If so, did you push it back and see if that fixed it?

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    If you go with Behringer, budget an extra $12 for a super quiet, 80cm, 24vdc fan. It sounds like a small airplane with the stock fan.

-Robert

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Well-Known Member

Well it'll be in another room, so no big deal there. There's enough other stuff on the rack making noise I doubt it would make a difference.